How much of an advantage is a .com in promotion?

Discussion in 'Promotion Tricks & Help' started by Jason76, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Packager Staff Team

+140
    This forum doesn't use one. How well does it do without one? Would you all use a .net or even another like .xyz?

2. Robbie626

Robbie626 Reputable

+37
    .xyz is easy to remember and suitable to a fun niche. However, professional niche should stay with .com or .net . I have used .xyz and it was fun to be honest. :)

3. Lord Saru

Lord Saru Heart and Hands Moderator

+432
    I will not deny the implications of a TLD on promotion.

4. Tucker933

Tucker933 Tucker933.com

+79
    When branding a site, the name tends to stick in an individuals head far more easily than the domain's extension. When the extension is unsure, the first guess is almost always .com, followed by .net

5. RH-Calvin

RH-Calvin Paragon

+53
    Yes I would prefer a .com first because its the first thing that comes in mind for all.

6. daica85

daica85 Up-and-Coming Sensation

+48
    .com is also my first choice when choosing a name for my startup. But when it's not available, I go with .io extension. An example is my current project eCoupon.io. It's about domain & hosting promo codes, technical articles,... so I think .io is the best choice in this case. IMO

7. simonweb

simonweb Familiar Face

+8
    I don't think a .com domain matter as much as it did 5 years ago. Most people search for websites instead of typing in domain names, or the site they are looking for is already in their browser history. And when it comes to promotion, I think that the new TLDs are much better if you want to create a fresh brand identity.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Addicted

+65
    In the earlier days of the internet, the dot com domain was the standard. I remember when a friend had a site in dot PH and we were all wondering if it was a joke. And later the dot org came around followed by the dot net. I guess suffixes don't matter much and there's not much prestige with the dot com like before.

9. Aaliya Anubhav

Aaliya Anubhav New Arrival

+0
    I would say .com is the best extension for promoting your website internationally.