How much of an advantage is a .com in promotion?

Discussion in 'Promotion Tricks & Help' started by Jason76, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Packager Package Team

+252
    This forum doesn't use one. How well does it do without one? Would you all use a .net or even another like .xyz?

2. Robbie626

Robbie626 Up-and-Coming Sensation

+50
    .xyz is easy to remember and suitable to a fun niche. However, professional niche should stay with .com or .net . I have used .xyz and it was fun to be honest. :)

3. Lord Saru

Lord Saru Heart and Hands

+436
    I will not deny the implications of a TLD on promotion.

4. Tucker933

Tucker933 Tucker933.com

+79
    When branding a site, the name tends to stick in an individuals head far more easily than the domain's extension. When the extension is unsure, the first guess is almost always .com, followed by .net

5. RH-Calvin

RH-Calvin Paragon

+53
    Yes I would prefer a .com first because its the first thing that comes in mind for all.

6. daica85

daica85 Resident

+74
    .com is also my first choice when choosing a name for my startup. But when it's not available, I go with .io extension. An example is my current project eCoupon.io. It's about domain & hosting promo codes, technical articles,... so I think .io is the best choice in this case. IMO

7. simonweb

simonweb Reputable

+22
    I don't think a .com domain matter as much as it did 5 years ago. Most people search for websites instead of typing in domain names, or the site they are looking for is already in their browser history. And when it comes to promotion, I think that the new TLDs are much better if you want to create a fresh brand identity.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens Addicted

+76
    In the earlier days of the internet, the dot com domain was the standard. I remember when a friend had a site in dot PH and we were all wondering if it was a joke. And later the dot org came around followed by the dot net. I guess suffixes don't matter much and there's not much prestige with the dot com like before.

9. Aaliya Anubhav

Aaliya Anubhav New Arrival

+0
    I would say .com is the best extension for promoting your website internationally.

10. Jason76

Jason76 Packager Package Team

+252
    I'm not really sure how much an advantage it is. I'd have to look at stats. But I think non-.com isn't memorable - but then again, a lot of people are not typing in domains. For instance, they might bookmark them or something.

• Like Like x 1
  11. daica85

daica85 Resident

+74
    Correct, some people don't type my domain exactly, instead of that, they go to Google search and type in "ecoupon domain" for the visiting.

12. Salt

Salt Reputable

+13
    I think .com is a habit when typing or guessing the forum. Obviously returning users will remember that it’s not a .com but others who see your website posted or advertised somewhere might have a little difficulty.

13. daica85

daica85 Resident

+74
    Yes, it's a habit and it's also the most popular extensions that people thinking about first when they typing on the browser.

14. Azareal

Azareal Addicted

+44
    As an example, I have no clue what FP's domain is. I can remember it, if I look at the URL bar, but the .net just makes it slip out of my head, as my brain automatically assumes that everything is a .com.

To find FP, I'll either look it up on Google or look for an open tab or have my browser auto-complete the URL.

15. xenoclix

xenoclix New Arrival

+0
    I always personally liked .net extentions over .com as i just like the name .net

.com is the most common and practical choice in professional ownership and being serious.

But nowadays it dosnt matter. Alot of .coms are taken so using altnernate extentions is a must.

The name brand is the most important one. Most people search via media outlets and links rather type into their address.

Saying that having a .com is easier to remember as its normal instinct to type out .com than any others meaning if you do not own a .com but .net you might send your competitor traffic

I stick to my .net but if i can .com is what i get at the same time. Traffic to same site.