How Often Do You Back Up Your Computer?

Talk Mental Health

Carlos X

Addicted
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
I just bought a new hard drive. I learned early last year, that storms in Alabama are a thing, so I get on backing up before storms.

A few weeks ago, we had a major storm that caused a power surge, killed my computer, my PS4, TV'S. We learned lessons.

Uncrowned Guard

Familiar Face
May 7, 2016
Pennsylvania (USA)
uncrownedempire.com
FP$
I keep pretty much all my working stuff on my Onedrive and other cloud services. My goal has always been to simply be able to throw away all my current devices and be able to grab new stuff, login, and be up and running without much issue. So far it has worked and i haven't done a Windows Restore (to get data back) since Windows 10 came out. I do the same on my phones.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Probably averages a monthly basis for my Linux Mint's PC since most things are online anyways. Not automated due to concerns for Ransomware so only my website hosting's VPS is completely automated once a day for tens of copies for retention.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Until the drives fail, thought f that? How old are the drives?
I don't, but I have 3 harddrives I save all information too so I guess there's not a huge point in backing up the computer imo.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I don't, but I have 3 harddrives I save all information too so I guess there's not a huge point in backing up the computer imo.
Are you talking about RAID 5 or something? Cause if so RAID is not a backup but rather to keep you going until you can replace the affected drive(s). Additionally even then RAID 5 can only "holds" 1 "extra drive" so once one does fails the RAID is immediately is in a unhealthy state.

RAID or not, you should be backing up your PC depending on the frequency of changes, how important those changes are and so forth.

As I said before I barely make PC changes so I rarely back up my user's data as a result. Contrary to my hosting which is done on the daily of course as well as other prevention measures.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
Most things I need are in iCloud on my personal MacBook so not often. My work MacBook has everything either in my iCloud or district one drive.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I don't back up anything. I'm pretty horrible about stuff like that. But the thing is. I don't store anything that I find is important on anything or in a cloud.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I don't back up anything. I'm pretty horrible about stuff like that. But the thing is. I don't store anything that I find is important on anything or in a cloud.
There is a place and time for them but I don't use those password manager ones. I don't want my personal and business lives to be held by someone with interests so those are stored locally and securely with KeePassXC.

A basic convenience manager without the gunks and rental fees to boost. You just gotta be mindful and store them securely and such so you don't lose your virtual world.

Reactions: Terminated

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I don't want my personal and business lives to be held by someone with interests so those are stored locally and securely with KeePassXC.

That's another reason why I don't bother putting saved data in the cloud or on anything. I think it's safer in my head. I remember when Sony's PlayStation network got hacked in 2011 and they had credit card information stored that the hackers were after.

Reactions: FriendlyPerson

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
That's another reason why I don't bother putting saved data in the cloud or on anything. I think it's safer in my head. I remember when Sony's PlayStation network got hacked in 2011 and they had credit card information stored that the hackers were after.
Let's not forgot about how many times Yahoo! got hacked too, oh and a credit bureau too (forgot which one it was). :facepalm:

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Sincerely, I haven't backed up my computer before, not even once
Better to start now before you literally and mentally loses it. Even 2TB slim drives are quite affordable these days. I recommend going for SeaGate or Toshiba if you have either options. Western Digital is not that bright when it comes to reliability in consumer grade drives and did serious shiz with their NAS (Red) drives by "mislabeling" them as CMR (what's more reliable and speedier) when they were in fact SMR drives.

SeaGate and other HDD manufacturers did this in the past but NEVER on this scale and they approached it much better than WD did at the time.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I don't really do that as i always have the important files uploaded on my google drive account!
Remember though that as with any data hosted you are still responsible for your data so I would get another if not even at least another provider as well if it data you can't live without said data.

A number of people lost data at the OVH fire that just happened in their France location (SG2 I believe it was affected with SG3 having some damages as well?).