• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are. You will always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account by going to your account settings > connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected, you will automatically join our server (if you have already joined, you will be automatically roled). You will automatically be given the role of "Approved Users." And whenever a thread/post is created, a message will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

How Often Do You Back Up Your Computer?

Advertise Here

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
I just bought a new hard drive. I learned early last year, that storms in Alabama are a thing, so I get on backing up before storms.

A few weeks ago, we had a major storm that caused a power surge, killed my computer, my PS4, TV'S. We learned lessons.

Uncrowned Guard

Familiar Face
May 7, 2016
Pennsylvania (USA)
uncrownedempire.com
FP$
I keep pretty much all my working stuff on my Onedrive and other cloud services. My goal has always been to simply be able to throw away all my current devices and be able to grab new stuff, login, and be up and running without much issue. So far it has worked and i haven't done a Windows Restore (to get data back) since Windows 10 came out. I do the same on my phones.

FriendlyPerson

Familiar Face
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Probably averages a monthly basis for my Linux Mint's PC since most things are online anyways. Not automated due to concerns for Ransomware so only my website hosting's VPS is completely automated once a day for tens of copies for retention.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Until the drives fail, thought f that? How old are the drives?
I don't, but I have 3 harddrives I save all information too so I guess there's not a huge point in backing up the computer imo.

FriendlyPerson

Familiar Face
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I don't, but I have 3 harddrives I save all information too so I guess there's not a huge point in backing up the computer imo.
Are you talking about RAID 5 or something? Cause if so RAID is not a backup but rather to keep you going until you can replace the affected drive(s). Additionally even then RAID 5 can only "holds" 1 "extra drive" so once one does fails the RAID is immediately is in a unhealthy state.

RAID or not, you should be backing up your PC depending on the frequency of changes, how important those changes are and so forth.

As I said before I barely make PC changes so I rarely back up my user's data as a result. Contrary to my hosting which is done on the daily of course as well as other prevention measures.