Solved How should advertisement topics be organized/displayed?

Discussion in 'Solved Archive' started by Cameron Taylor, Dec 30, 2018.

How should advertisement topics be organized/displayed?

1. Let's keep our Promotion Directory, which is having forums set up for each niche.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Let's have one forum where everyone is competing with bumping their advertisement topics.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Let's organize advertisement topics by website type, whether it's a forum, blog, etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (explain in your reply)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cameron Taylor

Cameron Taylor Owner Administrator Owner

+867
    Hey guys,

If you've been around FP for a little while, you probably recall the days when FP didn't have this Promotion Directory type of set up. By this, I mean we didn't have the websites being promoted organized into forums based on their niche. When I first joined FP, we had one forum for these typical advertisement topics, which was called Basic Promotion. When it was like this, individuals had a lot more motivation to bump up their advertisement topics, as everyone was always competing to keep their advertisement topic showing on the index page.

Would you guys like to keep the Promotion Directory, and have these various organized forums on the index page? Or do you wish to return to the days when we had one large forum with all of their advertisement topics being together? One potential argument for moving away from the Promotion Directory is that we have the topic prefix add-on, so we could potentially have a prefix for each niche. Then members looking for a particular niche could just click the prefix, and it will sort the forum, so that only the advertisement topics with that prefix are displayed.

We could also organize advertisement topics by website type. For example, we could have a Forum Promotion forum, a Blog Promotion forum, and a Website Promotion forum. Then we could also utilize the prefix functions with this type of set up as well, allowing members to still be able to easily view advertisement topics of a particular niche.

I've left four options in this poll, with one of them being an Other option. If you select this option, please make sure you share what the other is. We want to hear your suggestions/ideas. As always, thank you for your continued support of my favorite community, Forum Promotion.

Regards,
    Cameron

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+621
    I voted to keep the Promotion Directory as is, at least for now.

3. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,193
    Agree I voted regards keeping the Promotion Directory as is. If it's working then way change it.

Even as it is now under each sub-board, members still bumping to get on top. Wasn't as busy as it was before.

4. Ash

Ash Seasoned Veteran Community Team

+361
    Keep it as it is. It's perfect the way it is in my opinion. One change you could maje is stopping staff posting when closing threads. All it does is push active threads down

5. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+621
    Now we have subforums in each section for the dead sites listed in The Promotion Directory. This way we post in each thread that we close, move those threads, but the OP of each of those threads gets alerted that their thread was moved. Threads are no longer being pushed down.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cosmic

Cosmic Manners maketh man Retired Admin

+946
    We tried the single promotion directory for a while, but it was way too messy. We also had a PD with a huge number of categories too, and it was too dead. The current compromise is to have categories, but a limited number of them. That means that each category will be reasonably active. The system can be tweaked by adding or removing categories as needed, to up activity or to decrease it. Organizing by type would be weird because many sites, including this one, including my WIP site, have both blogs and forums.

• Wizard Wizard x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daniel

Daniel Package Team Leader Package Team

+177
    I like the competitive idea where everything is in one forum but thread prefixes are used so that users can sort by prefix but it also motivates folks to bump their topics (still following guidelines of course) to keep them on the first page where as right now it seems a website can go months in their categories without ever fear of being moved off the first page of the forum.
    There would then also be a possibility for pinned sites in the forum that would make a bigger difference.

8. Bluezone777

Bluezone777 Dinner Team Leader

+374
    I'd say leave it alone as I do recall this conversation happening at least once before and any changes made from that discussion did nothing and no changes to it that come out of this conversation will do anything either but provide needless work for which nothing will come from it.

I wonder just how many actually use it to find forums to be apart of as opposed to just pushing their own site and that's it. I imagine the numbers are far lower than one might have hoped.

I wouldn't let poll results sway any decision as it's the decision that has the best logical background supporting it that should be implemented not the one that simply is the most popular.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cody

Cody Seasoned Veteran

+2
    I like it the way it is now, so my vote is to keep it the same. If I want to find a sports forum to join, I don't want to have to search through a list of gaming forums before I stumble upon what I am looking for.

10. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Powered by Starbucks

+83
    This is, first and foremost, a promotion forum. The primary reason users come here is to promote their site and the primary method of doing so is via posting a promotion topic *somewhere*. That method should be as organized, streamlined, and provide the best opportunity for views and traffic as possible. Categorizing it into a directory, as it is currently, does that. Having just one "basic promotion" forum like before is a mess and only encourages users to bump threads more often to get seen and makes it harder for any users who happen to be browsing for forums to check out to find what they like.

Keep it as it is. This isn't the problem you should be focusing on solving.

11. Kaynil

Kaynil Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+482
    I also vote to keep it the way it is. I understand the forum might not be as active as it used to be and that you might think it is not enough rotation, but I think it is good to think exactly what are we looking for. Why do we want to entice bumping them for the sake of bumping them each day instead of enticing them to make those bumps meaningful?

My suggestion would be to shift the focus into how can we make what we have to work even better for the members rather than trying to make a shallow interaction with the zone. Now that we have the different sections I have felt a lot more compelled to check out communities whenever I am in the mood for something. It is just a lot more inviting for members to browse around and see what kind of communities are around.

For example, right now in the directory, there is little enticement to post News to bump those threads because we got a whole section, "What's going on?", to do exactly that. There is little encouragement to engage in that zone too, god forbid that by answering someone, an OP might risk to look like they are bumping too often.

Honestly, I think we should challenge our paradigms regarding bumping and what we are used to seeing around for directories. Less about making it seem active and more on how to entice that engagement so the OPs feel worth to keep the thread updated and the members feel enticed to check it out. If you had a thread on your project, what is what you would like to keep you motivated to share more of it?

12. Jordan

Jordan Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+582
    [​IMG]

Just keep it as it is. Honestly, it was better the way it was before the last change they made to it. Back when I was the technician. Should have kept it that way :laughing:

If you want even better organization, keep the categories, and then also add prefixes.
    Website, Forum, Blog, SaaS, etc. Then you can organize a category by prefixes based on what the site is mainly focused on.
    Or those complaining that their website has a blog and a forum, you can add both prefixes to the thread.

One thing I find the most annoying though, is seeing mostly all hosting companies in the "webmaster" category. This category should be focused on sites that target webmasters such as SEO tip sites, coding tutorials, website development sites, etc

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Cameron Taylor

+867
    Given that the community is largely in favor of keeping our Promotion Directory structured the same way, that's probably our best bet to better organize it.

Where would you want web hosts advertisements placed? We really can't give it its own category. At one point, I played with the idea of having a sub-forum for web hosts to advertise in their Marketplace. I had something like that set up on Website Forums, but I don't really feel like that would make a whole lot of sense here.

14. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+293
    The way the Promotion Directory is set up right now is fine.

15. Cameron Taylor

+867
    Looks like people are generally in favor of keeping our Promotion Directory the way it is. I'll mark this one as solved!

Thank you for your feedback. :)