Migi

Phantom Thief Lv. N00B
May 25, 2010
Holy Britannian Empire
jarigendut.tumblr.com
FP$

How to submit a proper request.

Hello there!

Welcome to the Technical Support section. This section is here to help you whenever you may run into technical issues that you are unable to solve. Before creating a topic, here are a few points to remember to ensure that your problem can be solved as efficiently as possible.

Points to Remember:
  • Provide Information! - Remember that as someone who is viewing your support request, we most likely won't know anything that you do not tell us. Make sure to post your site's link, what software you are running, what the problem is, how to recreate it, etc. In some cases, it can be helpful to provide a demo account for your forum or blog, especially if your technical problem applies to members who are logged in. Making it easy for others is a huge step to getting the help you need.
  • Be Specific! - This point goes hand in hand with the above point. Knowing the version of a software that you are using can be very helpful for those who are trying to pinpoint where your problem lies. Always make sure to list everything that could potentially be a factor, including MODs, plugins, styles, themes. Also, let us know what things you've already tried, as this will help us eliminate some potential solution.
  • Be Careful! - There may be some problems which need to be fixed through an ACP, cPanel, or other restricted area. If a member offers to help you fix a problem involving one of these areas, please use extreme caution. As you well know, it only takes a few malicious clicks to destroy an entire site. If you do give your credentials to another member, make sure that they are trustworthy and well-known. As a good security precaution, always change your password after giving it to someone for temporary access.
  • Be Thankful! - Remember that members are taking time out of their day to try to assist you, so please have patience and thank them. Feel free to give reputation to someone who helped you, but as always, remember that trading reputation or asking for reputation is against the global guidelines. Keep in mind, if you aren't grateful and nice to those who help, they may not be willing to help you in the future!

Credit: To [user]Leo Ghost[/user] for being the original poster & [user]pandaa[/user] for reformatting it to look like other guidelines/support topics. :great:

Watch Me Sink

Madly Diligent
Dec 31, 2007
East of Canada
FP$
I'd even go as far to say put the software in the title of the topic. One may know how to fix a template parse error in phpBB but not in SMF.

The vast majority of topics here are about phpBB, but if somebody asks for help in AEF or SMF and doesn't specify what the software is in the title, they probably won't recieve help. The users here that know phpBB will not know how to fix the problem, and the people that know SMF or AEF will neglect the topic, thinking that the user is referring to phpBB.

Justin

Legendary Typer
Jul 2, 2009
America
FP$
I would include something about having a list of MODs installed on the board. Many times, some edits are not regular forum code because the mod edits.

Watch Me Sink

Madly Diligent
Dec 31, 2007
East of Canada
FP$
This isn't Digitalpoint where everybody gets banned ;)
Unless you break the rules repeatability, and ignore staff, you won't get banned.

You can "bump" the topic every 7 days I you have less than 10 posts. However, you can make a new topic for a different site as often as you want.

codergames

Familiar Face
Jun 22, 2010
www.codergames.com
FP$
But, I've opened forum 2 days ago and I just posted link to my site 20 minutes ago. The forum is on the same site. I actually wanted to promote the forum, that's how I came across forumpromotion.net, but since the topic was to post the website, that's what I did. Never mind, thanks, I'll post it in 7 days, although as we were chatting like this number of posts got up :)

Migi

Phantom Thief Lv. N00B
May 25, 2010
Holy Britannian Empire
jarigendut.tumblr.com
FP$
Pvt_Tracy said:
I am glad that I have already been doing this, but I found out that you can't rep the same person twice in a row for helping with 2 different problems.
Personally speaking I don't think that is very gravely necessary anyway; one reputation point can cover various reasons. If you really want to give reputation more than one time, you can give it for different posts.