I'm Leaving...(And A Confession)

Discussion in 'Intellectual Talk' started by DanS, Feb 1, 2019.

1. DanS

DanS Up-and-Coming Sensation

+53
    Hello there. I'd just like to say that today, I'm leaving ForumPromotion.net. I've got reasons as to why I'm leaving, what I'll be doing after and something that I'd like to confess to.

So, let's start with why I'm leaving:
    1. I have found no success with promoting on this site. I have started multiple forums and a couple blogs but none of them have been successful. I know that sites take a while to grow but when I say, 'Not Successful', I mean that the sites have nothing on them and nobody really pays any interest in them.
    2. I've started too many sites. Just too many. In fact, I've started about 5 sites now. This links to my first reason as the sites were not successful. It's getting boring doing things like forums and blogs and I want to move onto other things.
    3. I'm losing interest. I've got better things to do. When I say, losing interest, I mean that starting a website, promoting it and waiting for what people say is just boring. I'm still interested in web development but starting a forum or blog isn't fun and promoting it as soon as I set it up is boring.
    4. I've got other things to do and these take time out of my favourite hobbies. I love doing things like programming or practising the guitar but a forum or blog and waiting for what people say takes time away from the hobbies.
    Now, once I've left, I'm going to be moving onto things that interest me more. Here's a list of some things I want to learn and do:
    • OpenGL/OGRE3D
    • Lua(Scripting Language that can be embedded into C/C++)
    • An open-source text-adventure game
    • Brushing up my skills with programming languages
    • Guitar
    • Maybe once my current computer get's old and I get a new one, I'll move to Linux
    • Try to render a 3D shape using a Programming Language and 3D Graphics Library
    • Learn C++ or C#
    • Contribute to some open-source projects
    • Learn how to make an Android App
    • Make a basic AI that can answer questions you may have(It may also be open-source)
    That's pretty much the list of what I want to do once I've left ForumPromotion.net and stop making forums and blogs.

Now for the final part is my confession I'd like to make. Now you maybe wondering, what is the confession that I'm going to make? Well, it's something that does break one of ForumPromotion's rules. It's that I'm under the minimum age on FP.

I've enjoyed talking with others who are obviously older than me alongside some replies I've made that made me stand out a bit. I have, despite being under the minimum age, I guess you could say a mature and responsible attitude and behaviour towards others. I've also taken things seriously and a few good laughs. Now, if an Administrator or Moderator is reading this then feel free to ban or delete my account. I honestly don't care. If I do get banned or deleted for being under the minimum age then I'd just like to say one thing. It's that thank you for all of the kind users of ForumPromotion.net who have shown respect to me and shared some ideas and constructive feedback to me. It's helped me to know what should be done and what shouldn't be when starting a blog or a forum. Once I'm no longer under the minimum age then you'll probably be able to find me returning to FP or maybe on some other site like Facebook or MySpace(Lol.).

Again, thanks for the wonderful users of FP for providing feedback about my sites and for all of the good laughs we've had.

Again, if an Administrator or Moderator deletes my account, go ahead and do it. I still won't care.

Yours Sincerely
    -----------------
    DanS

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. ChrisGrigg

ChrisGrigg Community Team Member Community Team Forum Sponsor

+194
    It's unfortunate that you no longer have passion for building websites/forums.
    Best of luck to you in your future endeavours.

• Love Love x 1
  3. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,131
    I don't think your account will get ban! and I agree that promoting isn't easy and till this day things aren't going good on FP. FP needs help more then ever before it can help other forums. Good to hear that you have allot of interest on what you want to do and I go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DanS

+53
    Thanks man. I do still have interest in Web Development just not as much as I used to.

5. DanS

+53
    Yeah. To be honest, they barely listened about the delete post feature and made it so that you can only delete your replies. If they don't listen then FP is going to crumble. Kinda like FreeForums or whatever it was called. Thanks for the motivation as well. I'm currently learning the C programming language then after that I'll learn Lua, take a break from learning programming and just play around with the languages and see what I can make.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cameron Taylor

Cameron Taylor Owner Administrator Owner

+794
    I'm very sorry to hear this. :(

Unfortunately, I'd say this is the biggest reason for your lack of success. If you're starting five sites, you're giving up too easily. Starting a successful forum from scratch takes a lot of time and patience, especially these days. I'd encourage you to focus your time on making just one site special, and see how that goes.

If we allowed individuals to delete entire topics, that wouldn't just be deleting the topic. That would also be deleting all of the replies that other users have made to that topic, and that's not fair to those users. Also, if I remember correctly, FreeForums was purchased by TapaTalk, like ZetaBoards was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. DanS

+53
    Hmm... Yeah, I guess starting up too many sites at once is my reason for lack of success. Besides, there are plenty of forums out there and there's really no topics to make a forum around.

Never new FreeForums was purchases by TapaTalk. I though it shutdown. Thanks for the notice for the post deletion. But if it's unfair for other users then maybe they just need to accept it. A lot of forums have this feature and nobody is really affected by it.

Overall, ForumPromotion.net is a good site and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to promote their site for free. Who knows, maybe I'll come back someday. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+535
    I'm actually sorry to see you go. You're more mature than a lot of the members here. I hope you come back one day.:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. DanS

+53
    Heh. Thanks for that. Maybe once I start a Facebook, Twitter or MySpace(Lol.) one day, I'll come back. For now, I'd prefer to just focus on hobbies and programming. And maybe I'll do some of the things I listed.

• Wizard Wizard x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Resident

+152
    Allowing people to delete their own topics is just leaving it open to abuse. If you want to edit out the content in your first post, and/or have the first post reassigned to someone else, then go right ahead, but if the thread isn't a personal one, there should be no reason for it to be deleted. Can you imagine someone who is a big thread starter getting pissed one day and deleting 100s of threads + 1000s of other people's posts. They don't have that right. Moderators can find a compromise if you really don't want to be associated with the thread anymore. I delete personal orientated threads on request as it's the right thing to do, otherwise, I have questions for that person.

As for forums... hmm. You probably should have started one and focused all of your efforts there. Forum Promotion alone isn't going to get your forum off the ground. I find that FP helps my/our forum because it already has members that weren't acquired via here. New posts from people here encourage the existing members to post more. I think we run out of thread ideas and we need some fresh minds to kick some life back in.

I enjoyed reading your posts here on FP, so I honestly hope it's not the last we see of you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DanS

+53
    No, it won't be the last you'll see of me. I will return to FP someday. I've got a blog if you'd like to know what I'm doing and all that.

You're right about the forums though. Besides, they always cut out of my time. :p But again, it won't be the last you'll see of me. I might fully return in approximately 1 - 2 years. But other times, I may hop onto FP to see what's going on and maybe reply a couple times to 1 or 2 threads then vanish again. Again, you can also check out my blog to see what I'm up to. I'm always up to something.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident

+44
    Success is never easy. It takes a ton of work. People always just see those big sites and go "wow, I can do that". But they never see the soul crushing amount of work they have to do to get there. It isn't easy and you can bet there will be hardship along the way. Getting started with a site is always tough because you have such huge competition these days. (People will often say things like: "it's cause da faecbook is killin fourms" when that's really not the case. It's just there are so many forums now it's easy to find another/the right one. I mean just look how easy it is to find gaming related forums... there's a huge swath of them. From individual games/series to console/platform specific to gaming as a whole.)

It also really matters what you define as success. I mean some people have different measures. Is success having hundreds of members and thousands of topics? Or is success having a place of your own with people to chat regardless of numbers? Getting the idea of having huge numbers is the number one way to fail because it sets expectations way to high. Truth is most sites will never get that big. Especially not extremely quickly. (If a site does grow quick, often it's life is short... High growth but short life because they can't sustain the rate.)

I'll also state up front that promotion sites, like FP, are almost never going to help THAT much to get sites going. They suffer from a fundamental flaw in that each person here is likely an admin already. Because of that fact they're not likely looking to join new sites, instead they're probably more concerned with growing their own site. So advertising here is kinda a futile thing, most people here aren't going to be joining.
    This isn't to say FP doesn't have other uses... but just don't expect much in terms of getting members from here.

No disrespect, but it's probably not a good idea to be pumping your blog in your "goodbye" posts. (It's kind of an underhanded tactic and it reeks of desperation.) Just leave it in your signature.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. DanS

+53
    My measure of success, was pretty much both. And you’re right, FP isn’t going to be the only one to help me grow. The sites did take time out of a lot of things I liked doing.

You’re also right about promoting my blog in this thread. I only posted it here just so people would know where to find me if they were wondering what I was up to. I’ll delete the reply linking to the blog in this thread and add it to my signature sometime, tomorrow(GMT)

14. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+290
    What about dropping 5k on one? :hilarious:

I disagree with the "too many forums at the same time" theory. If you have the time for it, and are willing to put in the effort it's definitely possible to succeed on all fronts. You can't half-ass your way through and depend on others to do the rest for you. I've managed to succeed on multiple forums simultaneously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carlos X

Carlos X Resident

+166
    You relied too much on FP, you're supposed to promote your site outside of FP, like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, whatever you can.

I agree with @VirusZero's point in bolded.

I don't know what made you want to open up a bunch of new "sites" (if you call it that...) But you need to open one site at a time, post news there from time to time, or when news break. I open new sites all the time because I see opportunity in that niche. If it doesn't work, I merge it into another site. Most people would sell them, but I wouldn't because I don't want that site to be wasted away in the abyss. (Because of varying reasons such as owner doesn't know how to retain users, or if the owner doesn't have interest, etc.)

What you and others don't realize is that while forums is a numbers game, you also have to see it as a business, too. I'm building my network for future use, not entirely because of money. You need to realize that every time someone sees your site, you grow your brand. A lot of people don't realize that.

Its like this, every time you post on a site... You're actually in people's face, minds, or whatnot. I had my own controversy just a week ago, and I am then in people's minds. That's called marketing.

16. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Familiar Face

+17
    If you have depended on this site for promoting your forum then I guess you have missed the point. This forum is for forum managers and the idea is to help each other just like a support group. But to get traffic or new members for your forum, well, I don't think it's part of the deal. Maybe you have made a good decision in leaving this site but I'm sure you will be missing some opportunities.

17. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+416
    I feel sad you feel that way. But that problem is also echoed in so many others on here. See, the problem is that - well a major problem maybe - is that people are not willing to spend cash. It takes money to make money usually.

• Like Like x 1
  18. danthex

danthex GamingBoards.net King Community Team

+148
    Advertising / Promoting is something you want to approach from many angles, don't put all of your eggs in one basket. You'll want to rely on social media, advertising campaigns, blogs, forums of your same niche, backlinks, and so much more to improve your SEO and website exposure. It's something you need to be fully dedicated to for the long run. It takes passion, patience, and commitment even after many failures.

I wish you the best of luck with your future projects and hope to see you back around FP soon! Take care.