Solved Improving FP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic

Manners maketh man
Jul 5, 2009
FP$
Hi all,

It has been an exciting week for the staff as we settle in. Our goal is to provide new value to the forum & site owners in our community. Exchanges, promotion, advertising, contests. We will provide more in these areas, and launch new services to help jump-start your site.

To do this, we need your input and feedback. We're looking for new ways to:
  • Advertise your site on FP
  • Connect you with other site owners, to do post exchanges and buy/sell goods
  • Help you recruit staff
  • Spread news about updates in your community
  • Connect you with resources and plugins
  • And more
We have several ideas, but we want to know what you think first. Are our existing services helpful? What can we do to help your site?

Thanks, and we look forward to hearing your ideas and feedback.

The FP Staff Team

Cosmic

Manners maketh man
Jul 5, 2009
FP$
What about an actual application for potential staff(for our sites, not FP)? At least this way there is a set structure for everyone and it lessens the amount of PMing back and forth.
This is an interesting idea. Are you thinking of a recommended application template, or a plugin?

D

Deleted member 32117

Having Site Battle again instead of once a month as it gets more hype then regular battle.

Jerlene

The Senseless Blogger
Administrator
Jan 13, 2011
SenselessBlogger.com
senselessblogger.com
FP$
What about an actual application for potential staff(for our sites, not FP)? At least this way there is a set structure for everyone and it lessens the amount of PMing back and forth.
This is an interesting idea. Are you thinking of a recommended application template, or a plugin?
Ooh. I was originally thinking of just a template, but a plugin sounds pretty sweet. This could get rid of replies altogether.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Jun 4, 2008
meowsepad.org
FP$

Geoffrey

Powered by Starbucks
Dec 11, 2010
Indiana
geoffreykoester.com
FP$
The idea of streamlining, incorporating some sort of plug in, etc. for the job board/seeking employment forums would be a nice addition. Make it more of a formalized structure and process, rather than basically just another promotion topic with an emphasis on staff openings. I'm thinking this is specifically helpful for the Seeking Employment sub-forum, so people fill out a standard template that board admins can review and compare from multiple posted topics. Like a resume format, with all the same information, resembling the actual real-life job search.

Same can be helpful for the Job Board itself - have a template, standard requirements to be included in the topic and be met by the board, etc. Maybe have different templates for sites that are brand new/not yet open and sites that at are at various stages in their lifespan.

--

Another cool feature, which would be a rather substantial addition, would be to have some sort of promotion "network" that boards join, and involves some sort of rotating ad on every 'member site'. So every site in the network gets advertised on every other site in the network as well. Could be affiliate button size or something larger, or even have a text ad version (so it can be more mobile friendly). I've seen it done on several forums on the past in various ways, can be pretty successful and beneficial to each forum on it if it gets large enough.

--

Another idea that may be too much of a directional shift from where you want to take things, but it'd be cool to see you dive more into the resource area of things. Like offer some plug ins/modifications for forums, even if it's just ones you create/have created to use here for phpBB or XF. Or have some styles/skins/themes for some popular software. Work on some high-quality documentations/tutorials/guides for doing various things on different software to put on the blog/homepage. That kind of stuff will draw in new/more people and then they'll discover the community and stick around.

• Love
Reactions: Keranov and Reverie

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
Having Site Battle again instead of once a month as it gets more hype then regular battle.
What do you mean by this? Are you referring to our Site Battles forum? Or are you referring to Site Battle Madness, which we do on an annual basis?
Site battle madness.
Problem is, from my perspective... It invites trouble more than it's worth. The whole point of the Site Battle Madness is to get members of the community to vote for the best site (albeit in a fun way), but from what I've seen, site owners invite their own members (from their own sites) to vote for their site, so this drowns "the little guy," to the bottom of the totem pole. On the other side of this trouble is that it invites others to argue about how "this site sucks, don't give him traffic!" That's not what it was designed for! It was supposed to be a fun, cordial contest. And to share traffic. To show off smaller sites. To show off newer sites.

Now, I'm not saying Site Battle Madness is bad, I just think doing it frequently would cause more arguments than ever. I'm all for more chances to win traffic, but competition breeds bitterness. Everyone is vying for traffic. Everyone is trying to be bigger than the next guy.

On the other hand, it means more work for the moderators, or shall I say the package team? I dunno. What I do know, is I like Site Battle Madness, but at the same time it invites trouble.

Cosmic

Manners maketh man
Jul 5, 2009
FP$
Hi all,

We’re currently working on a round of changes that will be released within the next few days. Stay tuned! This will include a few changes that FP hasn’t seen before.

Another cool feature, which would be a rather substantial addition, would be to have some sort of promotion "network" that boards join, and involves some sort of rotating ad on every 'member site'. So every site in the network gets advertised on every other site in the network as well. Could be affiliate button size or something larger, or even have a text ad version (so it can be more mobile friendly). I've seen it done on several forums on the past in various ways, can be pretty successful and beneficial to each forum on it if it gets large enough.
This is a really good idea. I’ve been thinking about this myself actually. The problem is the amount of dev work it would take to make this and make this right. Is there anyone else who would be super stoked if we made this happen? This is the type of thing that we might do if there is enough interest.

On the suggestion to do SBM more often: one thing I’d like to draw attention to is the monthly Community of the Month contest. Is there anything that we should do to this contest to make it better?

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Jun 4, 2008
meowsepad.org
FP$
Another idea that may be too much of a directional shift from where you want to take things, but it'd be cool to see you dive more into the resource area of things. Like offer some plug ins/modifications for forums, even if it's just ones you create/have created to use here for phpBB or XF. Or have some styles/skins/themes for some popular software. Work on some high-quality documentations/tutorials/guides for doing various things on different software to put on the blog/homepage. That kind of stuff will draw in new/more people and then they'll discover the community and stick around.
I think that's where FP went wrong under previous administration. They tried to be everything to everyone and ended up with a promotion forum full of staff members who spent far more time trying to develop plugins, researching SEO on Google so they could help people with it (and giving up because it was too hard), and copy-pasting threads from Digital Point than helping people promote their forums. That's just my opinion anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Shannon Apple

Geoffrey