Solved Improving FP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Refunds would be the best option in that case, but the thing is the current FP$ and the devalued FP$ how it is not worth it more long term or a more valuable FP$? I think it should be an obvious answer, but I have also paid for FP$ in the past and I don't care to lose it. I rather have a stronger valued FP$ over how it is now any day.
that's not going to work, I mean those people that sold it are way way gone as karanv mentions
That's kinda impossible. Some people have bought FP$ from other people who haven't visited the forum for years. And it's up to the person who have sold the FP$.
Anyway as we speak there are new exchange policy and rules regards this.
And one of the things with FP$ is that I really don't have much to spend it on,
That's always been an problem since the start, it's good for those that are new members as they need it for there new site but what members also do allot that they buy FP$ rather then working at getting there FP$ but that has chnage now

Geoffrey

Powered by Starbucks
If the reason we can't reset FP$ is that people who are "way gone" and haven't visited in years bought some of it for real money, why exactly is that a concern? I see the intent of being ethical, but you've got to weigh the benefits with the costs. As someone who until this weekend hadn't posted since the switch to XF (at least), I can say I would not care one bit if I logged in and saw my FP$ was reset. So be it. Use it or lose it. You shouldn't have bought so much FP$ if you weren't going to use it right away in my opinion. The benefit of a reset outweighs that cost, so you can restructure the earning and spending power of the currency to reflect what FP offers today, not when it was founded.

I will add, however, that resetting FP$ is only one step in the process. The staff need to truly revamp the currency system - including re-doing services, exchanges, and other things FP$ can be spent on and really thinking about how much is earned by posting and other means so there can be some balance and system to what is currently madness.

The main problem I've had with the whole post exchange thing (not the packages provided by staff) was the quality. People don't give a toss. You arrange to do a 10/10 with someone or whatever the case may be. You go to their forum and post 10 good posts that adds value to their site, they turn around and post 10 one liners that no one cares about. (I had one ongoing exchange with someone via PM, but that was different ;) )

There should be some sort of reward system in place to help with that. If someone makes genuinely decent posts, perhaps they get a badge of some sort on their profile to let people know that they're a quality poster. It would also encourage people entering into these bargains not to just spam around to meet that post quota.

There has been nothing in place up until now to make that exchange feature worthwhile for admins. My/Our forum is active enough. It's not in need of posts to boost post count, it's in need of posts with discussion value. I would actually have a thread in that section if I saw the value in it. I see 0 value in spammy posts for the sake of posting the number asked for. I just think that a proper system in place could make FP even more valuable to people as a whole. If you get them making proper post exchanges, it might bring more people around much more often, and not only that, more posters of better quality that stick around. :)

I've been inactive around here for a while, but it's nothing FP did wrong. I've just been spending a hell of a lot more time outside in that beautiful weather... while trying to give our own forum at least a little of my attention. XD.

EDIT:

"...resetting FPS chain of posts"
That has a simple solution, actually. Leave $FPS alone, and introduce something of more value like emeralds (or something) alongside it that can only be used on certain "advanced" services and resources. This way, you don't upset the guy with 10k+ FPS who might have put a lot of time in here up to this point. Can't avoid the fact that a reset might feel like punishment to some.

Last edited:

Cosmic

Manners maketh man
Jul 5, 2009
FP$
The main problem I've had with the whole post exchange thing (not the packages provided by staff) was the quality. People don't give a toss. You arrange to do a 10/10 with someone or whatever the case may be. You go to their forum and post 10 good posts that adds value to their site, they turn around and post 10 one liners that no one cares about. (I had one ongoing exchange with someone via PM, but that was different ;) )

There should be some sort of reward system in place to help with that. If someone makes genuinely decent posts, perhaps they get a badge of some sort on their profile to let people know that they're a quality poster. It would also encourage people entering into these bargains not to just spam around to meet that post quota.

There has been nothing in place up until now to make that exchange feature worthwhile for admins. My/Our forum is active enough. It's not in need of posts to boost post count, it's in need of posts with discussion value. I would actually have a thread in that section if I saw the value in it. I see 0 value in spammy posts for the sake of posting the number asked for. I just think that a proper system in place could make FP even more valuable to people as a whole. If you get them making proper post exchanges, it might bring more people around much more often, and not only that, more posters of better quality. :)

I've been inactive around here for a while, but it's nothing FP did wrong. I've just been spending a hell of a lot more time outside in that beautiful weather... while trying to give our own forum at least a little of my attention. XD.

EDIT:

"...resetting FPS chain of posts"
That has a simple solution, actually. Leave $FPS alone, and introduce something of more value like emeralds (or something) alongside it that can only be used on certain "advanced" services and resources. This way, you don't upset the guy with 10k+ FPS who might have put a lot of time in here up to this point. Can't avoid the fact that a reset might feel like punishment to some.
Thanks for the feedback! This is exactly the problem that we’re looking to solve with the new Trader Feedback system (see the announcements section).

This system will help in two ways. First, members will be able to look at each others’ exchange feedback to see whether they’re going to make good posts. Second, members will know that they will receive feedback, so hopefully will do better knowing that.

Your suggestions here are really good ideas though. We’ll be looking into ways to reward people who have a significant quantity of positive feedback. That could include some kind of badge on their threads or profiles to call attention to their high feedback scores.

Reactions: Shannon Apple

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
I really like @Geoffrey's idea of a banner rotation system. This is something that I looked into doing when we first moved to XenForo, but I was told that it would require quite a bit of dev work. I'm not a developer, so I really don't know. I've always thought that FP's problem is that when you promote on FP, you're only promoting to one audience (the "FP Crew", if you will); however, if we could make a way for us to expand that, it would make promotion leaps and bounds above what it is right now.

I don't think an FP$ reset is a good idea, but I also don't really see a better alternative at this point. Doing some form of a redefinition of FP$ would be interesting, but I don't think that would work too well. It would be rather confusing for most people to explain why their previous 6k FP$ is now worth enough to buy two packages. :p Making services more expensive would only decrease the amount that new members could do. I think removing the buy/sell rule will help the uselessness of FP$, but I'm unsure if it will solve it. I guess that's a conversation to have in six months after we gauge this rule's impact. Just my two cents, anyway.

Geoffrey

Powered by Starbucks
I like, and am mildly amused by, @Shannon Apple's idea of keeping FP$ as is and introducing a second, more premium currency on top of that. Long term it's not a viable set up, but it does quiet the folks who are too attached to their mounds of FP$ and remove the issues surrounding the inflation.

@John - regarding the rotation network, perhaps you could launch it with a few partnerships with other established boards that are pre-added to the rotation to increase exposure. This would serve multiple purposes: It means you launch the service with an existing base of people to see the ads. It creates advertising opportunities for FP itself, along with the partner sites. And as more sites start to use the service post-launch, the base grows.

I'd say most sites have at least two incoming sources of traffic, with FP being one of them, but another being from some other promotion board, social media, search results, or some other method that the admin uses. A good site would of course have much more than two, but I think two is a safe bet for a minimum. That means on every site using the service, there's at least a handful of members seeing FP's ad (and the ads of all other sites) that wouldn't otherwise see an ad bought on FP in some othe service. That's a pretty good selling point to use in marketing, which can also bring in new members here if you do your due diligence in promoting this new service to other corners of the internet.

A banner rotation is quite simple actually. We've had one on our site since day one. New image every time you reload. We used to have the same on our vBulletin forum where the community would submit entries to banner contests. Setting it up here for advertising purposes shouldn't be all that difficult.

As for the "premium" $FPS, was definitely suggesting it alongside a premium set of services rather than combining it with the existing feature. If you make $FPS too hard to obtain, you'll find that people will just not bother. Different strokes for different folks and all that. As it stands, I don't find that I have an abundance of $FPS and never had. On the odd occasion, I've been gifted some by staff for making a good post here and there, but that's seldom. Usually earned through posting only. Some people have gathered lots of it by selling their spamming services. That's where improving the quality of that exchange service might actually level it out. If people expect better posts, then these spammers will be making less posts and spending more of their time writing good content for their $FPS. Making it harder, will cheapen the service because of these people. I'm of the opinion that the FPS should be left as it is for post-only services.

As for these "emeralds" (just calling them that for clarity) there are separate possibilities. Here are rough ideas that probably need tuning and there are probably more ideas that they could be used for:

1. Make them so that you can't actually buy or exchange them and are solely tied to your contributions to the site. Your posts in designated helpful areas of the site. Maybe staff can add 1 emerald to your count by upvoting/liking a good post eliminating the "you scatch my back and I scratch yours" possibility there.

2. How about getting rid of the system that randomly displays people's sites along the bottom of the forum when they post. Replace it with a system where you can pay for a fixed time to have your site appear with your "emeralds."

3. What about these community skins and resources, could they be used to buy those?

4. Maybe pay people in these emeralds for writing articles.

5. Give them away in competitions.

If it's a completely seperate system that offers a completely separate set of rewards, I don't see how it couldn't work out in the long term.

Last edited:

Azareal

Paragon
If you make $FPS too hard to obtain, you'll find that people will just not bother.
I don't really bother posting for FP$, posting gives next to no FP$ and the currency wasn't particularly useful to begin with.
I suppose, I could trade my entire FP$ pool for a two week advert, but that really wouldn't have much of an impact, so I don't really bother.

And to be honest, I'd sooner just give you the money to put an ad up than lower myself to spamming sites for a few months.
I just treat FP as an admin site to talk about administration and the like with other people, the currency hasn't been relevant to me in a long time.

If you make $FPS too hard to obtain, you'll find that people will just not bother.
I don't really bother posting for FP$, posting gives next to no FP$ and the currency wasn't particularly useful to begin with.
I suppose, I could trade my entire FP$ pool for a two week advert, but that really wouldn't have much of an impact, so I don't really bother.

And to be honest, I'd sooner just give you the money to put an ad up than lower myself to spamming sites for a few months.
I just treat FP as an admin site to talk about administration and the like with other people, the currency hasn't been relevant to me in a long time.
You or I might readily just hand over money. Although the forum linked in my signature isn't actually mine. I am one of three admins, custodians if you like and one of the others holds the keys to the community funds. I don't have the luxury of making the decision to spend that money. XD. There is a win:win surrounding forum currency though imo, especially in the case of young admins who might not have the money. They post, generates activity for the rest of us, they get their FPS to use on things. Without activity, the place becomes stale, and it has happened at times.

I enjoy posting on FP, which is why I stuck around. Helping others since I have so many years in this game... and learning new things too... is kinda refreshing. Only reason I stuck around actually. The members here are always super nice... most of the time haha.

That said, we do have a unique situation with our forum. It's the remnants of a 16 year old community on a new much tinier site, some new members too. Over the past 2 years, I've ordered staff run packages. They DO add value to our site because while they don't bring in new members, they give our existing members something new to talk about. That's worth a lot. I must give the package team here credit where credit is due. :)

Reactions: Azareal

fantanoice

Madly Diligent
@Shannon Apple You described my life in the post exchange section.

My forum got to a point where we no longer needed exchanges because we had enough active members. I did, however, continue doing topic exchanges. I found they still added value and got rid of a lot spammers because they had to either think of a thread or not accept the exchange at all. On top of that, a lot of sites you'd exchange with were small / new, so you'd have to make new threads for them anyway. Made those less one-sided, at least in my experience.

I'm any case I'm hoping this trader feedback cuts down on some of those spammy exchanges because that could have saved me time when I was doing them.

Jon

GamingBoards.net King
Community Team
Choose random sponsored forums each week and advertising space raffles for x period of time would be neat also. Perhaps a leader-board of different community genres by ranking and specify the uniqueness of each community through short descriptions within the boards. Just some thoughts off the top of my head, good-luck with the improvements! :)

Reactions: Cosmic

Jordan

Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$
If the reason we can't reset FP$ is that people who are "way gone" and haven't visited in years bought some of it for real money, why exactly is that a concern?
I think he means, the people who purchased $FP from a user who is now long gone. Such as myself. Some of the $FP I purchased are from users who are no longer around, so a refund is no option.

Bringing in a new "improved" currency would just diminish the value of $FP completely. Would still feel like a reset, but just hiding behind a new currency.

Like I stated in the other thread:
"People keep saying that the $FP is in some sort of "State". You have to remember that $FP has been alive for over a decade! Of course, there is going to be quite a bit of $FP in the system now! The problem is just nothing to spend the $FP on!

If you really want to fix the problem, think of creative ways to spend $FP. Create some "Sink Holes" that richer users might find lucrative to spend a lot of $FP at once."

Reactions: Kaynil

Geoffrey