Solved Introduce the Development Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXInfectedXx

Former Staff
Jan 30, 2015
Forum Promotion
FP$
With all the recent down time and maintenance to FP, would be a great idea to see a site wide Developer like Cody again. Why did we remove it in the first place?

Screenshot_20190329-002022.jpg

Just experienced this error whilst trying to post a new discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

cryptik

sudo rm -rf /
May 22, 2011
FP$
To be honest, the amount of people that are not only technical enough or would be willing to work for hella cheap is few and far between. People that are at that technical level don't work for free, or for cheap :)

Reactions: John

cryptik

sudo rm -rf /
May 22, 2011
FP$
Instead of adding even more staff members, I think it would be better for Cameron to familiarize himself with Linux enough to keep the forum going on his own. There really isn't a need for much development.
This. I am not sure FP is in a position to really worry about developing when there are core functions that needs polishing first. Once they get their footing, get more eyes on FP, and other important thing first, then they can worry about developing.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
To me, a large-scale development team seems a bit outside of FP's scope. The last time FP had a development team, they had some decent ideas but never really finished much of what they set out to do. It also took time and resources away from building the community, and I think diverting the focus from the community to a bunch of shiny new features and cosmetics is what got FP in trouble in the first place.

Malcolmjr96

Forum Technician
Forum Technician
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
To me, a large-scale development team seems a bit outside of FP's scope. The last time FP had a development team, they had some decent ideas but never really finished much of what they set out to do. It also took time and resources away from building the community, and I think diverting the focus from the community to a bunch of shiny new features and cosmetics is what got FP in trouble in the first place.
I agree, but as for the previous development. The team was more focused on fixing up the style (which we didn’t complete), and fixing bugs throughout the site.
I also agree, I think the community should focus on what it has. And improve it, regain the community back and build from there.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
I agree, but as for the previous development. The team was more focused on fixing up the style (which we didn’t complete), and fixing bugs throughout the site.
I also agree, I think the community should focus on what it has. And improve it, regain the community back and build from there.
I wasn't really talking about the technician team so much as I was talking about the actual development team that existed back in 2015 or so.

Malcolmjr96

Forum Technician
Forum Technician
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
I wasn't really talking about the technician team so much as I was talking about the actual development team that existed back in 2015 or so.
Ohh I thought that’s what we were talking about. Sorry.

Azareal

Paragon
Instead of adding even more staff members, I think it would be better for Cameron to familiarize himself with Linux enough to keep the forum going on his own. There really isn't a need for much development.
I don't think FP should really be hiring staff just to meet some sort of perceived quota.
More isn't necessarily better. With each one you add, it actually creates work in managing them, getting them up to speed on standards, culture, etc.

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
More than anything, I agree with this. FP's primary focus should be on the community now. I was staff during two different software changes: It helps build basic interest in the community, but is not a longterm fix by any means. If done right, it can be a band-aid; and that's best case scenario. For FP to prosper once again, the focus has to return to the community; to the members; hell, to promotion. Things like mobile apps and software changes are good ideas, but they won't build longterm interest if the community doesn't believe they're getting something out of their time here.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
In other words, gotta spend some money to make some money
I don't think this suggestion is really about investing money in the forum. It would be nice if there were more money being invested in this forum for things like ads, contest prizes, etc., but that's not really germane to this discussion. This is more of a discussion about adding more staff to an already overcrowded team.

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
Feb 23, 2011
FP$
In other words, gotta spend some money to make some money
I don't think this suggestion is really about investing money in the forum. It would be nice if there were more money being invested in this forum for things like ads, contest prizes, etc., but that's not really germane to this discussion. This is more of a discussion about adding more staff to an already overcrowded team.
It's more of a reason as to WHY someone would want to invest time into a forum that is resistant to change. We've all tried it out, and it hasn't done anything. Doing technical work can make you a lot of money, and when you're asking for someone to do it for free.. without anything really in return you're not going to get great work 24/7.

• Agree
Reactions: edenwax

Azareal

Paragon
It's more of a reason as to WHY someone would want to invest time into a forum that is resistant to change. We've all tried it out, and it hasn't done anything. Doing technical work can make you a lot of money, and when you're asking for someone to do it for free.. without anything really in return you're not going to get great work 24/7.
Especially if ThemeHouse is getting paid $100/hour for doing the same thing for Cameron...
No one's going to be in rush to undercut them for free.

Free work can be considered a favour. A big one at that. Not something to be expected.

Reactions: Ajay

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
I'll build a forum top site listing for FP to use :)
It will go in my portfolio and will let members upload a site banner and input a description, title, and url. Then we will allow people to direct members to the top site vote link & answer a Google captcha to prove they're a human. the top site will be listed with most popular sites first. it might be a fun idea & fairly easy to develop :)

I would be willing to do it if there was member/staff interest in it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.