IPB 4.5

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
What are your thoughts on the new version 4.5 of IPB that is set to be released "soon"?

I'm really looking forward to the new and improved ACP, the new topic view summary, and the updates being made to the forum view, as well as the new statistics for admins.

I also hope they will improve the activity streams and making them more social. :)

Reactions: Mercury5

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
I don't know to be honest, Like anything else I wait until the addons are updated, and at times the third party devs are gone walkabouts and not around anymore LOL

But nothing that new since forum view has been added to some of the paid based theme options but didn't have to upload images. New statistics are something to look forward though

meetdilip

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
I would like to see it first hand before using it myself. I have used IPB before and I used to like it. I have seen IPB working on other boards at that time. I would like to do that same for 4.5 if it is for production. A blog post is nice, but real life performance is what really matters.

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
I wait until the addons are updated, and at times the third party devs are gone walkabouts and not around anymore LOL
That's why I try to use as few third-party addons as possible! ;)

A blog post is nice, but real life performance is what really matters.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to test when they - hopefully soon - upgrade their official community forums to 4.5. I'm also curious to learn more about that ios/android app they are developing for customers, although I'm perfectly fine with just using and maintaining the website for mobile devices.

Reactions: meetdilip

meetdilip

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
I follow their blog posts through my forum. " Post summary "sounds interesting. Can you link to some details about their apps ? Are they sold separately ?

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
Can you link to some details about their apps ? Are they sold separately ?
From what I can tell, they haven't posted much about it outside of what you can find on their blog. The app service is currently in open beta and it'll be available for "free" (not a paid addon) for active license owners when version 4.5 launches:

The good news is we intend for the app to be free to both our customers with active licenses and their end-users. In time, we will offer a premium option to communities. This funding will secure the app's long-term future. The premium option could enhance their listing in the directory, or provide special functionality when users use that community in the app.

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
IPB has always been my favorite forum software. I'm using MyBB personally (largely because we code a lot of custom plugins for the community and are deeply involved with the greater MyBB crowd), but I've always appreciated IPB for being more than just a forum. Forums are great when powered by good software, but many websites need robust CMS-like features as well.

Of course Xenforo and vBulliten have caught up in that regard. 4.5 looks nice though. I'll definitely be following. :D

Mercury5

Resident
Jan 21, 2010
arcadeaddicts.co.uk
FP$
This is interesting. I'm a long fan of IPB except for the 4x series. I am using their 3x series, I know out of date.

I have not looked at the 4x series for a while but will have a look to see if there are any improvements that I like. I always liked the 2x series.

The arcade recently created for the 4x series is awesome. That is the only thing that tempts me to upgrade.

On the applications/hooks, do you have to keep paying for them every six months using the 4x series?

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
On the applications/hooks, do you have to keep paying for them every six months using the 4x series?
Yes, there is still a renewal price every six months if you want to have access to new updates and support. If you choose not to renew, you can still use your purchased applications and mods.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
This is true. But this new theme, and the new CSS updates that will come with 4.5, will probably make that process a bit easier. I'm looking forward to updating my themes. :)
and faster LOL they might get to update on the same day when 4.5 gets released

Blackout

Addicted
Jun 12, 2009
Mississippi
www.rtscore.com
FP$
I was always a big fan of the look, feel and style of the 2.x series. I hate how forums are leaning more and more toward social media and giving up the things that made forums and discussion communities fun to begin with. You gradually are giving up the ability for individualism and identity. Don't get me wrong, I like the integration of auto-embedding videos and images. I just don't like how IPB and xenForo are becoming more like reddit and Facebook in design.

Mercury5

Resident
Jan 21, 2010
arcadeaddicts.co.uk
FP$
I was always a big fan of the look, feel and style of the 2.x series. I hate how forums are leaning more and more toward social media and giving up the things that made forums and discussion communities fun to begin with. You gradually are giving up the ability for individualism and identity. Don't get me wrong, I like the integration of auto-embedding videos and images. I just don't like how IPB and xenForo are becoming more like reddit and Facebook in design.
I wholly agree. I loved the 2X series. They were so much fun. Even doing all of the modifications yourself, it was a learning curve but felt like you achieved something if you didn't get any errors. All social media nowadays, unfortunately. I'm on the 3X series and the only reason I'd want to upgrade is for the arcade for that version as they have done a fantastic job with it. I think it would take something else to make me upgrade, although, I am watching and seeing how this 4.5 version progresses.

Thank you @simonweb for the link.