• Hello Guest, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our email system. Please expect a delay in email delivery.

IPB Licence fee Increase!

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
As of today, I had an email, well anyone running IPB software would get an email about their new change regarding the renewable fee. I'm shocked by the fact that it has gone up. Not by $10 but for the forum package it's gone up by $30 :eek:

Capture.JPG

And so, annual was $190 is now $280 for baysideGamers - Yep, what's next. not like I'm earning extra. Just think about other sites that are far bigger and pay more or double if they have everything.

IPB is now far more thenXenforo....

Noble

Merry Christmas
Gamma Premium
The only issue i have is they are getting rid of support tickets, you need to post in their licensed forums for support, for paid software as high as it is support is key, i get that the company needs to make money but they also need to have support tickets not a forum that everyone can read.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
The only issue i have is they are getting rid of support tickets, you need to post in their licensed forums for support, for paid software as high as it is support is key, i get that the company needs to make money but they also need to have support tickets not a forum that everyone can read.

That's interesting. Do you think that is so members of the community can provide unofficial support? If regular users are helping answer those, then maybe that's payroll they're not paying to individual(s) to respond to support tickets.

Noble

Merry Christmas
Gamma Premium
With this i see parts of where they are going the issue remains that they have not explained is the privacy information that many will have to send them, I think they just did it wrong.

I have five different business locations that i manage it's not the way to roll out things without notice.

Ozzy47

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Community Team
Gamma Premium
This is the email that is being sent out:
Hello!

I’m writing to you to let you know about a few changes to your Invision Community license.

Don’t worry, it’s not bad news, but there is a price increase, so let’s get that out of the way first and then get onto the good stuff.

We’re switching to annual renewals with a modest price increase. The new renewal cost changes are as follows (per year):

• Forums: was $50, now $80 (increase of $2.50/month)
  • Blogs: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Gallery: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Downloads: was $20, now $30 (increase of $0.83/month)
  • Pages: was $30, now $45 (increase of $1.25/month)
  • Commerce: was $70, now $95 (increase of $2.08/month)
I realise that price rises are never fun, but it’s worth remembering that the renewal prices haven’t increased since we launched that pricing model for self-hosting licenses over a decade ago.

We feel that Invision Community offers exceptional value for money with its rich functionality and power at your fingertips. Our licenses are not tied to major versions which means whenever we release new features, you get them without any additional cost; it’s all covered with your renewals. The last few major versions have added significant new functionality including a complete gamification system, anonymous posting, Zapier integration and more.

We have switched to an annual renewal to simplify billing and bring it more in line with industry standards.

The other change is in how you get support.

We believe in the power of community. It’s what we do, after all. We have helped thousands of communities create thriving support areas where customers get fast help, with the added bonus of a living knowledge base to search for answers before even needing to ask.

While we have had our own support areas in the past, these have been peer-led and unsupported.

We want to change this and make our own community a stronger hub for support and advice.

For most customers, support is simply “how do I do this?” and these questions tend to be quite similar. Rarely, support questions are “this went wrong”, and we usually get our developers to look.

With that in mind, we’re keen to invest in our community support by asking that your first point of contact for support as an active license holder be in our new support area on our forums. Our team manages these forums, so you will see familiar faces replying to each topic. In addition, you may find other experienced customers who will offer advice.

Creating a strong support community backed by our support technicians will result in a more detailed and richer set of answers. Please don’t worry, our support team can still convert the topic into a support ticket for our developers if something needs investigating.

We know old habits die hard, so even though we will encourage you to use the new monitored support forums, you will retain email ticket support until 1st January 2022 or when your license expires, whichever occurs later, so you have time to settle into the new way of working.

For those that wish to retain ticket support longer term, we will be unveiling a premium support option soon.

Thanks for reading, and I’ll see you on the forums!

All the best,

Invision Community

Empire

Gamma Premium
This is the email that is being sent out:
Yes that's right, I do like their IPB new website they just did up LOL

I know they increased it, but it's allot of money that added on top of what some or most people are paying for LOL My server/hosting has gone up this year also

Forums are starting to be not cheap to run.

simonweb

Up-and-Coming Sensation
I'm not happy with the price increase and I'm genuinely looking for alternatives (it's just too bad that IPB is one of if not the best forum software available). The support forums could work better and faster, but we'll have to wait and see. IPS have said that they can easily transform a support topic into a proper ticket if that's necessary.

At least they seem to have reverted back to 6-month renewals:

1631907949568.png

PGen98

Package Team Member
Package Team
$1250 for priority support?! That's insanity! I don't care if they answer a ticket in under a minute, that's still ludicrous pricing. Granted, I suppose these are aimed at corporate clients more than those of us who aren't multi-millionaires.

simonweb

Up-and-Coming Sensation
$1250 for priority support?! That's insanity!
They have reverted back to 6-month renewals and the new price for priority support is now $650 for 6 months, which means that they've increased the annual price with another $50.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

But yeah, priority support is clearly aimed at businesses and not hobby sites.

it's allot of money
Tell me about it. I have two IPB forums that use their forum, gallery and blog apps that now has a renewal price of $90 - for each site. That means that I'll update my sites every other year from now on because I can't really justify the cost. I rarely - if ever - use the support function and I don't need the newest updates and features. I'll miss the security updates though which is a real bummer...

If you only use the forum app, the new renewal price is $40 which I do think is still reasonable. But for all the other apps? Naaaah...

Empire

Gamma Premium
Crazy how the forum software costs $100 and yet the renewal fee isn't that far off from being half that cost @simonweb I mean $190 a year comes to $280 a year for me since I use everything for one site. OMG, why.

At least they seem to have reverted back to 6-month renewals:
Thank god for that, Glad that they put it back to 6 months, was going to email them however had no time. My full amount would be in February and that's one month after my server payment, bit hit. a lot of money to pay out in full. Still, $135.00 for 6 months now. that's from $90

I still use them though, I won't move away just yet as it's the first increase in five years I have been using them. Yet I say they have far fewer clients now than 10 years ago.

What's your thoughts @Dan The Man ? since you run IPB also.

Yeah, not a fan of a 60% price increase ($50 to $80), with no meaningful improvement or changes to the service & software. However, with that said, IPB is a superior forum software. I think it'll stay at $80 for a while. Anything more and they risk losing customers.