Is Google Analytics Dodgy?

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Hey,

Earlier today, I visited my Google Analytics and notice a very sharp increase in unique hits. The day ticked over (server time) and a new day began. I checked a few minutes and this sharp increase is continuing.

Is GA dodgy? Has anyone had abnormal statistics before?

Cheers.

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Justin M said:
I've had small discrepancies between GA and AWStats before but overall GA is a pretty solid stats program. Do you have any other stats you can compare to?

Yes I do and it appears GA is the odd one out. :confused:

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Interesting article. However, my GA isn't under reporting; its displaying abnormally high statistics. :neutral:

Rich Edmonds

Paragon
FP$
I have never seen any abnormal statistics with any site I use it on compared to AWStats. Hmm, very weird although it is Javascript so could have been a problem with one of the visitors or some strange other occurrence?

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Possibly, however this just happened earlier today, and I've had GA running for 3 weeks now, plus the countless other sites I've used GA on.

Just to give you an idea. These are for Visits, not Page Views:
April 22: 38
April 23: 43
April 24: 30
April 25: 503
April 26: 226

Rich Edmonds

Paragon
FP$
Hmm it might not be a bad count on GA's side of things as it's a gradual drop. If it was say 30-40 after the 503 then sure it would seem like a bad estimate but it could be that an active website linked to a post of yours? Have you checked the visitors for that day to see where they all came from?

Cosmic

Manners maketh man
FP$
Google analytics only works for users with JavaScript enabled. This results in bots and some legit users being skipped over.

@DotDavid: Possible proxies?

Watch Me Sink

Madly Diligent
FP$
It is pretty accurate for me...

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Little update: when the 26th ended, it recorded 397 visits, and for the 27th, it has 353 views.

@Traygon, possibly, but I don't think I have an active site linking to mine. The visitors are primarily US, UK and Australia. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

@Cosmic, maybe, but its been going on for 3 days now, so it appears consistent.

Rich Edmonds

Paragon
FP$
What about visiting referrals? Click on those dates to see where the visitors came from (search engines, websites, direct bookmarks etc.) and see what is what :)

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Direct Traffic
1,430.00 (67.61%)

Referring Sites
507.00 (23.97%)

Search Engines
83.00 (3.92%)

Other
95 (4.49%)

It may be a Javascript issue, or some caching issue from looking at the Direct Traffic.