Is SEO ethical?

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
What I mean is that it's a way to "game things". For instance, a person can just pay to be on big sites, regardless if the content on the payer's own site isn't good. Anyway, search engines are always trying to crack down on this stuff, but a huge market exists to get those big blog posts. Nonetheless, seriously, if people couldn't use these sites, what real chance would they have - and this includes sites with actual good content?

Well, the idea is that really good content ends up on big sites - simply cause it's good, but I think it probably doesn't happen on average.

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
I'm often surprised at the websites that I see spambots posting links to. Some of them are law firms and other seemingly upstanding organizations. It's hard to tell nowadays what's legitimate and what isn't.

Paying for links is better than using a spambot to do it for you, but I've never been much of a fan of doing that personally. From what I hear, that sort of thing is getting caught more often nowadays as well.

meetdilip

Addicted
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
Google reads almost everything on your PC. Plus, rumours say it hears to your phone mic, also phone cam ( why not ? ). So Google knows a lot more than they can admit. But they can use it to identify fraud against them

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
Google reads almost everything on your PC. Plus, rumours say it hears to your phone mic, also phone cam ( why not ? ). So Google knows a lot more than they can admit. But they can use it to identify fraud against them

That's a good point. Just talking about any random product instantly results in advertisements being displayed for it.

Reactions: meetdilip

meetdilip

Addicted
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
Just talking about any random product instantly results in advertisements being displayed for it.

Happened to a lot of people.

Also, I had a movie file, Google displayed something related to that movie on search results. I thought it simply puts a cookie and reads everything that happens through your browser. But no, it crawls out of the browser, and look for independent files too.

lucycarter

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
New York City
blog.papachina.com
FP$
Google is a strict watchdog. If you do any unethical SEO, it is going to get caught one day or another. The smart move those people make is to sell it off before Google catches them.
Absolutely, i agree with you, if anyone do unethical SEO like black hat SEO, then their site will be penalized by Google.

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
The way I see it, there are two kinds of SEO.

1. Working on your site to be as SEO-optimized as possible. Good URLs, meta tags, etc.
2. Getting external backlinks to your website.

If your paying an individual website for a backlink, I don't personally see an issue (never done this personally), but as soon as you move from one single, individual website to many, that's pretty much manipulating the system in a sense. Paying for backlinks to a large number of websites more or less... well, gives the search engines the impression that your website is more widespread than it actually is.

Google seems to be good at catching these sorts of things nowadays.

meetdilip

Addicted
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
Google has specifically mentioned about " spike " or " blast " in backlinks. It will be easily detected. Anybody who can count will be able to do it :)

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
Google has specifically mentioned about " spike " or " blast " in backlinks. It will be easily detected. Anybody who can count will be able to do it :)

I'm glad. I was always wondering how they went about detecting that sort of thing.

oliverjack

New Arrival
Sep 10, 2020
FP$
SEO is totally ethical if we do not indulge into Black Hat SEO that involves violating the search engine's terms and conditions.

TopSilver

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2019
www.mindpiff.com
FP$
My advice is stick to white hat SEO. Don't be trying to manipulate the system. Buying traffic is about one of the worst things you can do for Google and people have been blacklisted in the past. Advertising is one thing but some of these sites that offer to sell you traffic will only hurt you in the long run.

Xyphien

Resident
Jul 25, 2012
www.Xyphien.com
FP$
Any white hat SEO is ethical, and it's something you shouldn't fear spending money on either. Google doesn't mind paid links as long as it's posted and done through their guide lines. Most White Hat SEO agencies, companies, etc. make sure to follow these terms and as long as you make sure they have it listed that they do you're more than okay.

fybros

New Arrival
Dec 16, 2020
India
FP$
Ethical SEO can be defined as search engine marketing using only technologies and strategies deemed acceptable by search engines. "If we expand on this idea, there will be some interesting troubles.