Is there any new drug or treatment that can actually stop an addict from using?

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
Is there any new drug or treatment that can actually stop an addict from using?
Depends on the drug you're asking about. You're question is rather vague. Now if you're meaning methamphetamine.

There's nothing on Google that suggests there is a drug to help ween off an addict. There was an experimental trial with the use of naltrexone and oral bupropion. Those drugs didn't work and the trial failed. So no. For someone to really fight their addiction. They'd have to use their will and their heart to get through it. Which is easier said than done. I suppose the best method is to avoid ever using.

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
I don't know of anything new but my son takes Subutex for Heroin addiction and he has been on it for 15 years. Although he doesn't use now he has turned to alcohol so he's basically switched one addiction for another. It is described as:

"Subutex is the trade name for Buprenorphine, which is a man-made (synthetic) drug licensed for the treatment of opioid (heroin, morphine) addiction. long-lasting. less drowsy than methadone. forces user into full withdrawal."

This has worked for his heroin addiction and he is on a very low dose now but he says every time he tries to come off it he is tempted to use again so this medication will probably be lifelong.

• Sad
Reactions: Terminated

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I don't know of anything new but my son takes Subutex for Heroin addiction and he has been on it for 15 years. Although he doesn't use now he has turned to alcohol so he's basically switched one addiction for another. It is described as:

"Subutex is the trade name for Buprenorphine, which is a man-made (synthetic) drug licensed for the treatment of opioid (heroin, morphine) addiction. long-lasting. less drowsy than methadone. forces user into full withdrawal."

This has worked for his heroin addiction and he is on a very low dose now but he says every time he tries to come off it he is tempted to use again so this medication will probably be lifelong.

My ex wife gained 180 pounds after we got married and would sometimes drink whiskey. She had a food addiction. She loved food. Loved to cook and eat out. She got her weight loss surgery. She got down to 100 lbs and since she couldn't eat her feelings away. She then turned to whiskey and sex with other men. So she started cheating chronically. So she'd go out and get drunk and be gone for days at another man's house. So she came home and asked for a divorce. So I kicked her out. So she went and stayed with her sister, who was already a junky, started giving her marijuana and pills. So she started partying with her sister all of the time. They were always together anyway.

I don't know when she started doing meth. But I do believe it was before the divorce was finalized in late January of 2020. I had been in a lot of denial and depression because of her. So mentally, I was at my weakest point because I wasn't fully over her at the time.

Eventually she met a guy and started doing meth with him. Told me she tried it. I threatened to take her court for full custody. She said she wouldn't do it again. Then she met another guy and got into a relationship with him for a while and they were doing meth together. Then he left her and she started begging me for money so she could get her fix. Came to my work saying bad people were after her. She was paranoid and acting crazy. It was embarrassing. So I gave her 40 dollars and told her to go to rehab and move in with her mom. She told me to shove it and then wrecked her truck and ended up in rehab for a day before she checked out.

She'd guilt trip me all of the time for more money. Finally after many many months I sat down with her mom who I hadn't talked to because I was sure she hated me. We didn't exactly get along so well during the 11 years I was married to her daughter. She told me to quit giving my ex wife money because she was just buying meth with it and getting high. She also told me that she was sleeping out of someone's garage. She didn't have a job and she was starting to see her drug dealer. So I cut her off just like that.

Reactions: sprite1950

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
It's very hard to turn your back on someone you love but I kept giving my son money because he would cry and say that he would get killed if he didn't pay money he owed to his dealer. I remember going to the nearest cash point in my pjs in the early hours once because I thought someone was going to murder him but in the end I realised I would have to stop bailing him out. I told him there was no more money and I stuck to it and of course no one killed him. They use emotional blackmail to get what they want because they know you love them.

Reactions: Terminated

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
They use emotional blackmail to get what they want because they know you love them.

That's exactly how she treated me. She'd threaten suicide, she'd cry, and she'd even talk about coming back to me. She'd pretend to be the woman I fell in love with to get what she wanted. She'd say she was getting a job and that she was getting clean or some story that she would sell me. There was several times that I fell for her tricks hook line and sinker. Eventually, it was like 'the boy who cried wolf" and I gave up on her. I said no and that my earnings was to help myself and the kids. She finally quit begging me. We don't even talk anymore. She's violated the terms of the Joint Custody agreement and our families have told me that there's no point in taking her to court for Full Custody. Her family doesn't even want her to have the kids let alone be near them.

Reactions: sprite1950

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
You can't blame yourself for falling for her tactics. Love really is blind sometimes. I was just the same with my son and it's only now looking back I can see how manipulated I was. My son is better than he was but he will never be a good role model to his daughter. It's good you have managed to get your ex wife out of your life, some people are just toxic and can't be helped.

As one door closes another opens and I'm sure there is someone perfect for you out there .. that's if you haven't already found her :)