Is XenForo too expensive now?

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Seems to be - but maybe people are getting what they're paying for. Anyway, the cost is now $160 from $140 and $55 from $40 a year for upgrades/support. Now, I haven't factored in possible lowered prices for repeat buyers, though. Well, the upgrade price could have been a "repeat buyer" price - cause I was only looking from my account.

Jason5

Resident
Jul 8, 2019
FP$
I feel the price is little overpriced now. Before the pricing was okay, i don't know why there is a price increase and many opt for second hand license instead of the new one.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Well, for anyone new you always pay-up-front for your forums and packages, like IPB is like $200 for forums, gallery, files, pages, calendar, and blogs. Then each year you then have a $120 license fee
Well, XF is still cheaper at $160/forum and $55/renewal - and for repeat buyers it could be cheaper.

TechWiz18

One with Tech
Dec 18, 2008
United States, MI
gabaton.com
FP$
Xenforo's price increase for the initial purchase is now at the point I'd probably consider going to IPB if I wanted another forum and my Xenforo license was in use. Not to mention that even with IPB's forum software having 6-month renewal's instead of 1-year renewal's they still come out $5 cheaper than Xenforo's renewal for a year.

Xenforo is definitely getting confident that folks will choose them over IPB or any other software it seems, that's the only reason I can see why they'd start increasing the price, aside from trying to pay staff more.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Xenforo's price increase for the initial purchase is now at the point I'd probably consider going to IPB if I wanted another forum and my Xenforo license was in use. Not to mention that even with IPB's forum software having 6-month renewal's instead of 1-year renewal's they still come out $5 cheaper than Xenforo's renewal for a year.

Xenforo is definitely getting confident that folks will choose them over IPB or any other software it seems, that's the only reason I can see why they'd start increasing the price, aside from trying to pay staff more.
well if you just get the IPB forum then it be far cheaper for the license. But once you get all of there IPB packages then it goes up

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I wasn't even aware that XenForo had upped their pricing from $140 to $160. Regardless, I definitely think it's worth it. I'd definitely put XenForo over IPB, vBulletin, WoltLab, etc, and I don't see any reason why their pricing would not reflect that as well.

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
It's not too expensive.

The definition of too expensive is going from $150 to $200/$300/$400. As soon as vBulletin was acquired, IB immediately changed prices and the agile development process.

xenForo raised their prices only because of circumstances surrounding Europe's economic decisions. Kier gave birth to a kid that same year. He's feeling the pressure to move mountains with his product.

Deathstarr

Resident
Jul 2, 2009
Southeastern US
AlabamaGunForum.com
FP$
Yep, Ever since I started using IPB they always have had the same price.
IPB Use to be free . Back In IPB 1.3. IPB 2.x was also free in the beginning and made a large splash around the web. Then that is when IPB went paid and only had a demo available. Over the years their has been price increases. The forum alone cost $200 via their website today. (self hosted version). In 2014/2015 it was $175 and $50 renewal (Forum Only).
$55 a year is far cheaper then IPB.. Yes they are cheaper but what made them put there costs up?
If I put the dots together, they would like to hire more developers, cost of business, maintaining what they have.

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
If I put the dots together, they would like to hire more developers, cost of business, maintaining what they have.
Problem is that Europe is a pain in the ass at the moment. Here's a video you should see:

Yes, this is about tech, but pay attention to the little details of the video.

Moreover, they don't like technology in general, that includes the internet. There's a hivemind there, where all tech is bad. This is how GDPR was born. There was a lot of cybercrime, yes, but the hivemind makes marketing very difficult there. Google, Facebook both attempted to put a HQ there, but senators ate them, and spit them out.

MeowsePad

Legendary Typer
Jun 4, 2008
FP$
I fail to see why you would pay that much money for the least user-friendly forum software on the market. XenForo is painful to use even as an end user.