Japan Dumping Radioactive Waste in Ocean

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
Well. I've just read that Japan is dumping radioactive waste into the Pacific Ocean. I decided I'd just post this here. If anyone's interested. Please comment. I'd love to talk about it. đź‘Ť

Japan has decided to release contaminated water accumulated at the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean - but its neighbors are not happy.

Tokyo announced this week that it would gradually release more than 1.2 million tons of radioactive water - enough to fill 500 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Japan has been storing the water in tanks following the 2011 nuclear plant meltdown, which followed a devastating earthquake and tsunami that devastated northern Japan's coastal regions.

South Korean and Chinese governments have voiced concerns that the radioactive water from the nuclear plant could affect food safety and have grave ramifications on marine life in the area.
Link to MSN:

Talk Mental Health

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I heard of this as well. I honestly don't know how nuclear waste can be deemed 'okay'.

It's not okay. They just don't want it on their land. I get it that it's not their fault that they got slammed by a tsunami a decade ago. But because their reactor blew. They have an obligation to clean that up. Dumping that crap into the ocean is going to make everyone sick and drive more sea life into extinction.

• Agree
Reactions: ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Package Team Member
Package Team
Jun 11, 2020
Michigan
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
It's not okay. They just don't want it on their land. I get it that it's not their fault that they got slammed by a tsunami a decade ago. But because their reactor blew. They have an obligation to clean that up. Dumping that crap into the ocean is going to make everyone sick and drive more sea life into extinction.
Very much agree with you! I honestly don't know of a solution. Only thing off the top of my head is to put any toxic material enclosed in a material where it cannot leach into the soil & hence the environment. & after cleaning up this & other toxins, do not make anymore!

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
Very much agree with you! I honestly don't know of a solution. Only thing off the top of my head is to put any toxic material enclosed in a material where it cannot leach into the soil & hence the environment. & after cleaning up this & other toxins, do not make anymore!

There really isn't one. There is the possibility of reusing it at another plant to cool a reactor core. They could do that instead of dumping it on everyone else's shores and causing mass deaths. They'll risk radiation contamination. The better decision is that they need to keep it under lock and key and leave the waste where it is now. If they dump it, it'll cause irreparable damage to the environment. Cancer rates will go up. They'll be giving a lot of people a death sentence with severe radiation poisoning. It makes me wonder if Japan actually learned from the Chernobyl Disaster of 1986. It takes thousands of years for Radiation to deteriorate and dumping it in the deep end of the Pacific is a really bad decision because then it becomes a problem for everyone.

Reactions: ZandraJoi