Keeping the Homeless from Park Benches?

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$

Bench modification: Crime deterrent or attack on homeless?
MATTHEW LANE • SEP 24, 2019 AT 9:09 AM
[email protected]
KINGSPORT — The Model City last week installed wooden blocks on the flat benches in Glen Bruce Park and along the Kingsport Greenbelt.

City leaders say the measure was done to help address the criminal activity taking place in those locations and is one part of a larger plan to manage the homeless situation in town. However, opponents to the measure are calling the wooden blocks “hostile architecture” and say the city is being heartless and cruel for installing them.

A picture of the benches in Glen Bruce Park went viral on social media over the weekend and an online petition calling for the removal of the blocks had received more than 4,500 signatures by Monday evening.

This is a big debate in my hometown with supporters taking into account crimes - and, of course, opponents saying it's mean. Myself, I think the benches should be non-difficult to sleep on - but I think the homeless should be in shelters or be given a temporary apartment and a job.

O.K.. how about the homeless in your town?

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
We have a homeless woman in my little country town who won't accept help from anyone, doesn't want a job and just wants to keep to herself. She has family that has tried to get her help and she still refuses. Mental illness plays a huge role in the decisions of a lot of homeless people, especially ones that refuse help and won't go to shelters.

On my town's facebook group people were trying to encourage others to help her out and then came back saying she wouldn't accept their help. It's a sad situation. I haven't seen her yet since I live further out in the country and not in the borough.

Reactions: Jason76

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
We have a homeless woman in my little country town who won't accept help from anyone, doesn't want a job and just wants to keep to herself. She has family that has tried to get her help and she still refuses. Mental illness plays a huge role in the decisions of a lot of homeless people, especially ones that refuse help and won't go to shelters.

On my town's facebook group people were trying to encourage others to help her out and then came back saying she wouldn't accept their help. It's a sad situation. I haven't seen her yet since I live further out in the country and not in the borough.

Well, with the elderly, but maybe not the homeless - there is a fear of being controlled, a desire for freedom. I mean, I can understand not wanting to be in a nursing home and/or under the control of abusive people.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
This Polish guy I met - lived in Communist Poland as a youth (now a big anti-Communist). He told me they would just make people who wouldn't work go to a labor camp. Is that moral or not?

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
This Polish guy I met - lived in Communist Poland as a youth (now a big anti-Communist). He told me they would just make people who wouldn't work go to a labor camp. Is that moral or not?

I don't think any one cares for Communism or Fascism. A lot of people here in the States would probably tell you that that it's not moral to make someone work against their will.