Married and separate bank accounts?

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
If you're married, do you and your wife have separate bank accounts?

When I worked I always had a separate bank account. At first it was because my husband had a hard time balancing the checkbook and I found it really easy to balance mine and just let him figure his out on his own ;) We separated the bills and each paid out from our accounts and then when I returned to the workforce after a hiatus to be a stay at home mom, all my money went for my daughter's college education so it didn't really matter about having separate accounts.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
FP$
Nope, my wife hates handling money so I do all the bills and shiz. She does take care of sewage for me because it's easier for her to mail out payments from her office. She also handles all medical bills that come through or one time payments. She will most likely be on the baby's savings account as well because I shake too much when taking pictures to deposit checks lol

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator
FP$
Cookie Badge
Like Badge
I'm married and been together for 7.5 years. We have separate banks, and we still split utilities and bills down the middle. Her bills is her bills (truck payment and insurance and such) and mine is mine.

sprite1950

Reputable
I was married once but we had separate accounts. It's not that I didn't trust him it's just we kept it that way. He paid the bills and we used mine as a kind of savings account for holidays and other luxury items. It worked out quite well as neither of us were reckless with money.

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
Most have separate accounts, I mean I live with other two family members and we all have separate accounts :) I get my money come through and they have their monthly income to their separate accounts. We at times be careful about what we get since the government always tracking people on how much money that people get.

Cash in hand jobs are the best at times, we do not have anything to hind since we do not get much. I really need to get my PIP sent off

Allan

Paragon
We have a joint account and she handles everything. I don't even look at the bank accounts nor do I want to be bothered to pay things.

BrolySSJ

New Arrival
FP$
If you're married, do you and your wife have separate bank accounts?

When I worked I always had a separate bank account. At first it was because my husband had a hard time balancing the checkbook and I found it really easy to balance mine and just let him figure his out on his own ;) We separated the bills and each paid out from our accounts and then when I returned to the workforce after a hiatus to be a stay at home mom, all my money went for my daughter's college education so it didn't really matter about having separate accounts.
Sometimes it can be a good thing to have separate bank accounts, because it also reduces a lot of financial conflict that arises in marriages as well. However i think that if managed well then one bank account should be sufficient. However, i am not married yet and so have not had to cross this bridge jsut yet.

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
My husband and I used to have separate accounts it worked for a long while. After a few heavy conversations about future plans (initiated by him surprisingly) we got on the same page about goals regarding life, retirement, etc. I didn't realize the level of intimacy it created joining accounts, it was like whole level of trust that drew us even closer to each other. Now it feels like we are both helping each other strive to achieve our personal goals and goals as a couple/family.