Metric system for USA

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by David, Jan 23, 2013.

1. David

David Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+13
  2. Sam

Sam Seasoned Veteran

+20
    I'm guessing you pay for petrol by the gallon over there instead of by the litre?

I don't think one system is any better than the other- they are both simple measurement systems which work. If Americans feel comfortable with the Imperial system they should stick with it. :)

3. David

+13
    What? I'm Australian, we use the Metric system. We pay by the litre...

The Imperial system has no simple logic, as shown in the diagram. Sure if you've grown up on that scale, the conversions may be easy now, but it need not be that convoluted. The Metric system is in powers of 10, it makes portioning a lot more easier and it makes scientific calculations simple for the majority of the world.

4. Sam

Sam Seasoned Veteran

+20
    Whoops! Thought you were as you are advocating American change. + Forums are always filled with Americans. I'm from NZ...

5. David

+13
    Not "advocating", rather raising points as to why USA still uses the Imperial system, and what makes it more superior. Why has the rest of the world changed, but USA hasn't. It seems a little stubborn, IMO, considering how effective the Metric system is.

6. The Reverend

The Reverend Paragon

+2
    The UK is pretty messed up tbh, as far as measurements go. I for one, measure some things in imperial measurements, and some in metric. The whole country is pretty uch like that :lol:

7. Sam

Sam Seasoned Veteran

+20
    What do you measure in imperial measurements? In NZ we always use the metric system... :D

8. Venom

Venom Seasoned Veteran

+0
    I
    Hate
    Metric

9. David

+13
    Why? Organising units in 10's, 100's and 1000's seems like an effective system.

10. The Reverend

The Reverend Paragon

+2
    We measure height and weight in feet and stones (respectively), and distance is done in miles on signs.

11. Watch Me Sink

Watch Me Sink Madly Diligent

+0
    Scientifically, yes, the metric system is superior. However, in every day life the imperial system is quite useful. Here's a link that shows some of the real-world advantages to the imperial system.

12. Jerlene

Jerlene The Senseless Blogger Administrator

+723
    Who cares if we can convince you if it's "superior" to some other system that WE DON'T KNOW? This is what we grew up with and what we know. Why fix something that isn't broke?

13. R44

R44 Paragon

+0
    And look where that's getting people like me on a pension. Public Transport ends up being cheaper.

14. The Reverend

The Reverend Paragon

+2
    JUst to back up my point about the UK being completed mixed up with both measurements: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_u ... ed_Kingdom

" Areas of land associated with farming, forestry and real estate are often advertised measured in acres, but for official government purposes the unit is always hectares. Office space and industrial units are often advertised in square feet, despite carpet and flooring products being sold in square metres. Steel pipe sizes are sold in increments of inches, while copper pipe is sold in increments of millimetres."

15. premiere

premiere Familiar Face

+0
    As far as I can tell, the problem would be the transition. I think that K-12 education would have to start making students use both systems. Then, after a certain period make the switch in-full.

Currently, we aren't taught to use the metric system for everyday things.

Not sure if one system is better than the other.

16. The Reverend

The Reverend Paragon

+2
    Imperial is 10x (lol, geddit?) better for everyday than metric IMO, thats why metric is only used in official stuff in the UK, I havent met many people who use metric units in everyday life.

17. Joe

Joe Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+3
    It may not be superior or inferior, its just what were used to using. I hope they don't switch over to the metric system. I'd be confused all the time. :p

18. The Reverend

The Reverend Paragon

+2
    Something is only outdated when people stop using it. Just because it is old doesnt make it outdated.

19. David

+13
    Considering the rest of the world seemed to stop using it, USA seems a bit stubborn (which is what the world sees USA as in all facets of life, tbh).