Bug Mobile Homepage

Discussion in 'Community Matters' started by Ghost, Mar 13, 2019.

What do you think of the current homepage on mobile?

1. There are design/layout issues on my phone or tablet & they should be fixed

2. My phone/tablet is larger & I experience no issues

3. There are issues & I can personally help fix them

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Seasoned Veteran

+63
    The homepage displays very oddly on mobile.
    I have an old iPhone 5s because my Google Pixel broke and it displays extremely strange.
    The 'Promote and Grow Your Site' text actually appears vertical, with 1 letter per line.

The whole page gets distorted, and I cannot imagine it is a pleasant experience. To be honest, if I saw that page as a mobile visitor & didn't know about FP, I would instantly leave. I would assume it is a broken/old website that is no longer maintained.

In addition to that, the information is outdated. We have over 3,000 more members, 100,000 new posts & over 10,000 new threads. It also says there are over 14,000 sites promoted, but only 4,438 threads exist in the promotion directory, so I'm not sure where that metric comes. This is all minimal & won't affect a user's experience... it's the layout & design that needs updating first.

I recommend spending some time fixing the homepage for mobile so that newcomers are not instantly turned off by the broken layout. At a time when the community needs new members, I think this is a lot more important than other suggestions in this section. I know some new theme changes are planned, but fixing the homepage for the current theme would not take much time & I think it's definitely worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Ash

Ash Seasoned Veteran Community Team

+368
    Not sure about the screen size difference between the 5s and the Galaxy S8 but I have the same issue as well where each letter is on its own life.

The stats being outdated is probably just something the admins forgot about so that will definitely be resolved :).

3. Lucky!

Lucky! sudo rm -rf / Retired Admin

+602
    Oh yeah, the whole homepage is a dumpster fire. Even on my Note 9, it's all distorted and broken. Hopefully this will be fixed with this theme that we don't need.

4. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+71
    I also experience the "Promote and grow your site!" as vertical on my IPhone 6. Either it be on Safari, Chrome or Firefox, it always displays that way on mobile.

And if FP has more than 3000 members, 100,000 new posts and 10,000 new threads and those Stats don't get updated then it will make your site have old, outdated information that would be from years ago. I also find that '14,000 sites promoted' part, sketchy. If only 4,438 threads exist in the Promotion Directory then why would FP advertise it as 14,000? That's pretty much false advertising and straight-up lying.

And I do agree that the homepage and the overall mobile experience needs to be fixed. I'd also suggest updating your statistics on your homepage every so often so they aren't outdated. This better not happen with the new theme coming with the XF 2.1 upgrade. If I continue to get a broken layout on mobile after that update then I'll be using FP less and less until I literally forget about it. FP right now, is in a state-of-decay and soon, a ghost-town. Get it fixed or shut it down.

Your choice, Mr. @Cameron Taylor

5. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,202
    Isn't to bad on my phone, then again small screen I have. And there is little wards that's not right.. Does need doing.

6. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+623
    @Ghost We're aware of the issues on the homepage. We won't be wasting our time fixing it because it's being dumped once the new theme and upgrade is complete. I believe our blog will be the new homepage and since the entire theme will be mobile friendly, you shouldn't continue to have issues.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    They probably cleared out a lot of the threads at some point.
    Many of them are probably out-of-date and for sites which no longer exist.

8. Ghost

Ghost Seasoned Veteran

+63
    Oh, gotcha - That makes sense. When does the new theme get implemented? I think I missed the announcement, but I have definitely seen it referenced a few times

True, that makes sense
    no point in having super old content
    They could also be going off of package requests, reviews, etc
    Or maybe they had a tool to track unique links on the site at one point.

9. Kaynil

Kaynil Paragon Package Team Valued Contributor

+485
    If I haven't really said much on the home page is because of that understanding it was going to be replaced soon enough. To be honest, I think probably better to just disable it until then and having the landing page be the forums in the meanwhile rather than scare potential visitors.

This is the first impression from my phone:
    Screenshot_2019-03-14-12-15-14-47.png

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 1:51 AM
  10. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    I mostly pretend the homepage doesn't exist.

It could be deleted one day and nothing of value would be lost.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Empire

+2,202
    End of the day most of us don't even go to the home page, like myself I go straight to the forum! even when I login, I use the forum URL. Also if we going to have the blogs as an home page then I like to mention that I do like how the layout of the home page is now more then what the blogs are, But my guess it will be redesigned

12. Lämmchen

Lämmchen Up-and-Coming Sensation

+83
    Here's to hoping that 3 of the broken links on the index page get fixed! I almost didn't sign up because of that but found the Forums link and was hooked.

13. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+623
    It was supposed to be this month, which may still happen, but the people working on it have run into a few hiccups.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Empire

+2,202
    Doesn't matter how long as long as it gets down with no error Better to get errors fixed then have an site that doesn't half work

15. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+71
    To be honest, it’s better to remove that homepage right now. Then once you’re done with the new theme, re-design the homepage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Malcolmjr96

Malcolmjr96 The Technical Girrafe

+302
    Oh someone fixed it!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+71
    Yip! Someone fixed it. But one of the icons from what I’ve seen is overlayed with text.

18. Malcolmjr96

Malcolmjr96 The Technical Girrafe

+302
    Hmm I thought that was design?