Monetizing a Forum/Blog

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Some find ads annoying - so that might be a reason to avoid them. In that case, you can monetize with members-only sections, Patreon, boosted classified ads etc. Well, does anyone know other ways?

O.K. why might ads be the way to go? I mean, it's possible to make ads less annoying and probably most aren't bothered by ads anyhow.

Talk Mental Health

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I think skimlinks and adsense will continue to top for the forums. In case of blog, there are lot other options out there.

Adsense seems dependent on SEO - which is tough these days. Well, I suppose traffic could come from social media - but that has to be paid for - so where does the forum/blog owner break even or profit?

netsavy006

Seasoned Veteran
Apr 18, 2007
LI, NY, USA
FP$
Have you looked into affiliate marketing? You could refer people to a product or service and make a commission when people buy.

Here's a youtube video that explains affiliate marketing:

Last edited:

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
A big problem is the fact that traffic often comes from social media and SEO - but both of these things cost dearly to build. In that case, what you make. has to exceed what you paid to build it.

netsavy006

Seasoned Veteran
Apr 18, 2007
LI, NY, USA
FP$
I don't know if this can help you but there is a company, Merch By Amazon, where you can sell merchandise like t-shirts.

There are other companies as well that you can use to sell products off the internet.

ProfitPixels

Acquaintance
Jun 7, 2019
FP$
Some find ads annoying - so that might be a reason to avoid them. In that case, you can monetize with members-only sections, Patreon, boosted classified ads etc. Well, does anyone know other ways?

O.K. why might ads be the way to go? I mean, it's possible to make ads less annoying and probably most aren't bothered by ads anyhow.
You can try to use native ads, not banner-like annoying ones. For example, you can create a cool thread with useful info about a particular topic and organically include info about particular goods/services (in case that you have a positive experience with it). And, for sure, you need to establish an advertising partnership with this goods/services provider before (or with an affiliate network that can provide such a deal) to get the special link that will allow you to track all purchases or smth like that so you will be able to gain your fixed reward or %.
Anyway, there are many ways for traffic monetization. Nowadays it is harder to find traffic than monetize it :)
Good luck!

Cumulus

Marketing Team Leader 📊
Marketing Team
Oct 8, 2020
UK
FP$
Thank You Badge
I've always liked AdSense: Their payouts are quite high in contrast to the likes of Taboola etc. BuySellAds has a nice community for advertising though and that solid 'guaranteed' income can be a great help for incipient webmasters

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$
To get any notable amount of money from ads you'll need a lot of traffic. In the early stages of a website it doesn't make sense to have ads at all, you'll make a few cents at best and the ads will put off potential users. When your website is established, has a userbase and solid google rankings only then would I think about monetization. Until then, growth and providing value to your users should be your only concern.

• Agree
Reactions: ARx182

alberello75

New Arrival
Jan 22, 2021
Italy
FP$
Well, I am sincere and I say that I find the ads present in every site / app, very annoying!
However, I understand that they support such sites, which otherwise would need revenue from the users themselves.
This in my opinion is the fundamental concept.

Pousinha

New Arrival
Feb 7, 2021
FP$
Owning a site became more and more expensive as time passed by. Years ago there were only domain name and hosting, but since 2015 there are cookies law, privacy and finally GDPR (and whatever else would project European Union for the future). And to obey all these laws, if the site owner is not a programmer, engineer or in any way IT field professional, he/she must pay an agency to keep the platform in order to avoid heavy fines. Sometimes, nor even ads are able to cover webmaster expenses.