Money isn't everything

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Recently, a friend of mine had a "sort of" homeless friend die on him. He was very shook up and posted lots of posts about him on Facebook. Anyway, I think people make too much of money - but then again, it's only normal that people want ambition and a name for themselves.

But, anyhow, all the homeless aren't saints, though. Also, all the poor aren't. So we need a good heart, but not a feeling that is naive.

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Recently, a friend of mine had a "sort of" homeless friend die on him. He was very shook up and posted lots of posts about him on Facebook. Anyway, I think people make too much of money - but then again, it's only normal that people want ambition and a name for themselves.

But, anyhow, all the homeless aren't saints, though. Also, all the poor aren't. So we need a good heart, but not a feeling that is naive.
It's possible your friend felt a connection to the homeless friend and on another level he could imagine himself in that situation and it might have scared him. When I worked in Chicago, I would walk underground to my job because it was slightly warmer but that's where all the homeless would bed down. They would wave and say Hello as the commuters passed by. I can see how easy it is to be fond of someone you see all the time and then miss them when they pass.

Reactions: Jason76

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
New York City
FP$

I am very sorry. :( That's terrible to hear.

It's too bad many people don't care about each other until they're gone. But it's too late by then.

VirusZero

Resident
Mar 17, 2010
endlessfight.net
FP$
Money may not be everything, but it does certainly make life a bit easier or more comfortable.

Having money though doesn't necessarily mean fame though. You can have tons of money but not be famous. Personally, I'd rather have money than fame. I wouldn't want the attention. People wondering what I've got to say, haters all over the place, media all over everything I do. Nope, I can live without that.
Money on the other hand can get me what I want... A nice house, my vehicles fixed up, some good food, fuel so I can go places and/or visit friends. Way more useful to me than fame would be.

Not to be cold or disrespectful to your friend, however the unfortunate truth is that people living on the street die. It's harsh out there. Especially the last month due to the extreme cold. There's only really so much you can do. I mean you can't force them to go to shelters and places if they don't want to. Even if you could, shelters and the like are oft over burdened and under funded as is so they can't help everyone.
It's also a hard sell to get people to donate food/money/time to shelters and foodbanks and that kind of thing. Especially since there have been issues with these places that kind of give them a bad rap. Like the time when foodbanks stated they wanted money instead of food donations. (Claiming they could buy more food with the money than the consumer could. Though the problem was any time money is given they take a fair amount of that to use for "administrative costs" instead of actually helping people.)

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
aving money though doesn't necessarily mean fame though. You can have tons of money but not be famous. Personally, I'd rather have money than fame. I wouldn't want the attention. People wondering what I've got to say, haters all over the place, media all over everything I do. Nope, I can live without that.
Money on the other hand can get me what I want... A nice house, my vehicles fixed up, some good food, fuel so I can go places and/or visit friends. Way more useful to me than fame would be.
A little fame - but not too much, is fun. A little wealth - but not a lot, is the same. Too much money means fake friends, kidnapping threats etc..

Well, I think the problem with fame is that it's connected to your name. But if you have a website, you could very well, have a hugely popular site, but a much smaller number would actually know the site owner's name.

Pennywise

Madly Diligent
I agree that money isn't everything, however, you have to have a certain amount of money in order to live. You don't need to be making millions and millions of dollars every year. That's not necessary. But you do need to get up and get a job in order to pay your bills.

Sorry to hear about your friend's friend that passed away. Things like that affect each person differently.