Selling Mybb database 30k users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjon123

New Arrival
FP$
Hello,
I am selling a mybb database with 30k users and more than 35k posts.
Price:Make ma an offer through pm system,
Thank you

D

Deleted member 25872

I'll buy it of you, if you can help me merge it to my current forum.

Mutiny

Familiar Face
FP$
@Carlos X yes it is his database, however if the database is not tied to an existing community, how would he use the database to promote a new community? I'm pretty sure if he were to send an email to all members advertising the new community he would be violating the CAN-SPAM act since these people never gave the new owner permission to email them.

I don't see much value in a database without an active community, simply from the standpoint that you don't have permission to email those users.

If you want the content of the community that's great and there's no issues with that, but you have to be careful with the user data and reaching out to users who didn't give consent to be contacted by the new community.

Carlos X

Addicted
@Carlos X yes it is his database, however if the database is not tied to an existing community, how would he use the database to promote a new community? I'm pretty sure if he were to send an email to all members advertising the new community he would be violating the CAN-SPAM act since these people never gave the new owner permission to email them.

I don't see much value in a database without an active community, simply from the standpoint that you don't have permission to email those users.

If you want the content of the community that's great and there's no issues with that, but you have to be careful with the user data and reaching out to users who didn't give consent to be contacted by the new community.
This is my problem with people like you: Every time there's a sale of databases and "information." You freak out. Why? Because you think that GDPR protects you? No, it doesn't. Maybe in Europe. But in United States, we can do whatever we want with the database.

GDPR is stupid, and hurts people like me, by second hand. I've seen people ABUSING this law. I'VE SEEN IT.

Any time I aquire a database. I make an announcement on the site to ensure trust.

Now, what happens next is people walking with a bomb and act like assholes. Imagine someone coming to you with a dumb letter saying you have to adhere to GDPR or face fines.

This law ISN'T for forums. It's meant for large entities with deep pockets. Like Facebook. Facebook SOLD information to third parties. Directly. Okay? THAT'S what this law is for. There's also hacking, information stealing, and other things that ultimately shows your full name, address, sensitive information - WHICH MOST OF THE TIME FORUMS DON'T HAVE.

All there is...
- email address
- username
- IP address

Everything else? If YOU put sensitive information in there... THAT. IS. YOUR. FAULT.

Like if you're worried about your information DON'T PUT...

- YOUR FIRST AND/OR LAST NAME ON USERNAMES.
- YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN USERNAMES.
- YOUR ADDRESS IN SIGNATURE OR ABOUT SECTION.

I have seen all this.

Personally, I don't use any of the information. All I want is their membership. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
While none of us here at FP are lawyers, our current understanding of GDPR leads us to believe that the buying and selling of forums/databases is acceptable. If some form of legal entity contacts us and says this isn't okay, then we'll have no problem putting an end to these types of marketplace topics on FP. Until then, please refrain from responding to this topic unless you are interested in purchasing this. Thanks!

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
GDPR is stupid
THat's the EU for you :(

SInce United Kingdom is now left the EU And we are no our own country, we as the people have more choice and power. However, we still have to follow GDPR rules ;(

Why, well people who run business and sites/hosts them from the UK have traffic from EU counties and still can get pooped big time if we do not obey the rules. Or just block those EU counties then do not have to worry about it :)

Ozzy47

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Community Team
Gamma Premium
What niche and what’s the status of the community the database is attached to, is it live?

How old is this Database? Is this only being sold once and never been sold before?

@jonjon123 can you answer the above please? Kinda hard to buy something if you know nothing about it.

Last edited:

Martee

Paragon
My understanding is that if the site (wherever it is based - the USA/Ghana wherever) collects information on European based users, you are required to accommodate GDPR - whether it's a terrible law or not (it's a pain in my ass at work). It's a broad law though from what I know, as long as you have (and can argue) a 'legitimate interest' in processing (in this case, selling the database), you're sound. The data has to be used for the original purpose it was collected for (in this case, I imagine email contacts/logging in) but if you change that purpose/services offered, you need to need to recheck that purpose with the users. A sale of databases containing customer info is allowed as long as they are informed upfront and offered the chance to reject (opt-out/delete acc. etc.) with their consent to include themselves in the transfer of data implied by them not opting out.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, I'm just paraphrasing what I know from my workplace. I know the implementation varies and I imagine Forums are a large gray area.

Side note - good luck with the DB sale lol. Sorry for the GDPR sidebar.

Status
Not open for further replies.