Need a name for an 18+ sub-forum

Lambwitch

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
I didn't think I would have to deal with this but something happened yesterday on Facebook that made me realize that my new craft forum will need an adult sub-forum for crafts that some people MIGHT NOT want to see.

So what happened yesterday? A big blow up of over 2,000 posts in a thread in a craft group over someone's supposed coat rack made of dildos. It turned out that the OP didn't create that craft project so the blow up was meaningless.

But this made me think that there are people who might come to my forum and want to display these types of crafts....but some of my older friends will not want to view these which leads to the need of a private forum for those who request access.

Now...what do I name this forum for those over 18 years old who like risque crafts?

2,000 FP$ to the member who comes up with a name I think fits best :D The name will be public so keep that in mind!

Hanging Chad

#vote2020
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
Simple: 18+ NSFW Crafts, Projects, and Ideas
I’d say roll with this. It may be cool to have a unique name for this section, but it would be better for it to be abundantly clear as far as what is in that section. You definitely don’t want anyone accidentally viewing 18+ content that shouldn’t be, and you don’t want anyone accidentally seeing NSFW content at work.

Keep it simple and straightforward.

Reactions: 22_22

Lambwitch

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
I’d say roll with this. It may be cool to have a unique name for this section, but it would be better for it to be abundantly clear as far as what is in that section. You definitely don’t want anyone accidentally viewing 18+ content that shouldn’t be, and you don’t want anyone accidentally seeing NSFW content at work.

Keep it simple and straightforward.
My problem with that is that I have older friends who don't even know what NSFW means.

Edited to add that it took a half hour to get one of my friends signed up on the site because she couldn't see the captcha and then couldn't log in and then I changed her password because she said the system wasn't taking hers and she couldn't copy and paste...so then she asked if the symbol at the end was part of the password. Yes. oh boy.

Shannon Apple

Resident
Jul 6, 2016
Ireland
www.sakugacity.com
FP$
My problem with that is that I have older friends who don't even know what NSFW means.

Edited to add that it took a half hour to get one of my friends signed up on the site because she couldn't see the captcha and then couldn't log in and then I changed her password because she said the system wasn't taking hers and she couldn't copy and paste...so then she asked if the symbol at the end was part of the password. Yes. oh boy.
You'll have to explain it.

Can you put an 18+ Icon on the section? If so, you should.

Then put something like this with a description.

NSFW, Crafts Projects and Ideas
Contains projects and ideas that some may find offensive.

That should be clear enough for them. And if you must, send out a site-wide announcement that this section is happening and why it's happening. They are all adults, so surely then they can have the self-control not to visit a section that might upset them. =)

Lambwitch

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
You'll have to explain it.

Can you put an 18+ Icon on the section? If so, you should.

Then put something like this with a description.

NSFW, Crafts Projects and Ideas
Contains projects and ideas that some may find offensive.

That should be clear enough for them. And if you must, send out a site-wide announcement that this section is happening and why it's happening. They are all adults, so surely then they can have the self-control not to visit a section that might upset them. =)
I'd really prefer not to use an acronym. I would like a name that is clear to all.

Reactions: Boo

Mattthew

#WearAMask
Jun 28, 2010
StarScape Clan Citadel
FP$
I'd really prefer not to use an acronym. I would like a name that is clear to all.
Do you plan to make the forum visible to the public? Make it hidden with access granted manually? If it's the latter, it's likely people will know what NSFW means. If it's the former, literally spell out NSFW so it's quite clear what is in the forum. So, replace NSFW with Not safe for work and make the description very informative with a warning.

Lambwitch

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Do you plan to make the forum visible to the public? Make it hidden with access granted manually? If it's the latter, it's likely people will know what NSFW means. If it's the former, literally spell out NSFW so it's quite clear what is in the forum. So, replace NSFW with Not safe for work and make the description very informative with a warning.
The problem I have with saying NSFW is that we're assuming that the majority of the members posting are employed, which if I think about who I'm trying to get to sign up, they are not (stay at home moms, homemakers, retired women in their 60s and above). I understand that the acronym means beyond work but I am thinking of my older friends who would be confused by it. I would really prefer a different type of name.

Lord Saru

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Feb 21, 2010
From the blue
FP$
Why dont you send me the 2000FP and settle this once and for all? 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Lambwitch

Shannon Apple

Resident
Jul 6, 2016
Ireland
www.sakugacity.com
FP$
Okay then... No matter what name you choose. Here's another solution. A password protected forum section.

You don't want the "offensive" posts showing up in your latest posts and so on, right? So make it a private forum with a password to enter.

You can always put the password in the description, stating that it contains 18+ material and by entering the password, they understand this. That way, you're leaving the control in the user's hands and it takes the responsibility away from you.

That's what I would do if I was dealing with less than tech savvy people who were going to complain about certain posts showing up in their new post feed and so on.

• Useful
Reactions: Lambwitch

Lambwitch

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Okay then... No matter what name you choose. Here's another solution. A password protected forum section.

You don't want the "offensive" posts showing up in your latest posts and so on, right? So make it a private forum with a password to enter.

You can always put the password in the description, stating that it contains 18+ material and by entering the password, they understand this. That way, you're leaving the control in the user's hands and it takes the responsibility away from you.

That's what I would do if I was dealing with less than tech savvy people who were going to complain about certain posts showing up in their new post feed and so on.
Oooh that's really helpful! Thank you for that information!!

Reactions: Shannon Apple

Lambwitch

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
What did you decide on?
I haven't decided yet actually. There are some great names suggested but none of them really jump out at me as the winner. I will probably wait a while longer and see if anything new comes up as a suggestion before returning to the ones given already to choose from.