New Article 13

Discussion in 'Intellectual Talk' started by Empire, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,216
  2. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+281
    The only good Article is Article 50, the process to leave the EU :p lol
    You know things are bad when you're relying on Susan W, crusher of independent creators, to speak on your behalf.
    I like how the media just casually skims over the real implications of Article 11, mainly because the mainstream media are the ones who stand to benefit from it.
    It'll be quite the SEO disaster for smaller sites, as it'll be harder for people to share content, even in the law's weaker state.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+74
    I hope this doesn't affect other areas of the world(America, Asia etc.) and the UK(If we leave that is). If these Articles are truly going to destroy the internet then the internet better do what they always do. Spam messages, emails, phone calls, letters and have their voice be heard for these Articles to not exist.

4. Van1lla ™

Van1lla ™ Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+59
    I wouldn't worry to much if this is going to be a EU statute. Once we leave the EU they wouldn't be able to enforce this for us, it would only effect countries within the EU.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+74
    True. But if companies like YouTube are going to have to pay money for copyrighted content then it’s going to be a struggle.

6. Empire

+2,216
    Just think about uploading an image of yourself to Facebook and find out that you don't own it even it's an image of yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+281
    You have to remember that the European Union is the new world government which tells everyone what to do, didn't you get the memo? And what do you propose other than outright blocking the EU?

The EU, US and China all seem to be competing to create their own private internet.

8. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+74
    That wouldn't really happen. You of course, own the rights to that picture. Article 13 is meant to deal with copyrighted material. In this case, if Article 13 does pass, you upload an image of yourself, it's yours immediately. If someone were to take that, put it in a compilation or pretend it's theirs then that would come under copyrighted material and Facebook would have to pay a fine. Not the user who stole it.

(That's my guess if a scenario like that were to happen as to my knowledge anyway, Article 13 has something to do with original content and copyrighted material).

9. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+281
    You are right. Under the law, you and your likeness are your own intellectual property.
    Although, that doesn't stop some AI mistakenly misattributing it or mistaking it for something else and blocking it lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Empire

+2,216
    I hate it also when they release an new article or update to the point that you have no powers. It's like walking into an pub to buy and beer and they ask you out loud for your ID ( 18 years and above and got to show ID to 25 years) and point is that I was 18, 7 years ago and I still have to show my DARN!! ID

11. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+74
    To be honest, even if the UK does leave the EU and Article 13 passes, it's still going to affect the entire world. If it does pass then Companies like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. are all going to have to keep paying money for every single bit of copyrighted content that's uploaded. Then next thing you know, all of these services get shutdown because of this silly Law. That is, unless these big Companies block their Services from the EU but that would be very fatal to them as well but they of course wouldn't need to worry about paying these fines.

12. Van1lla ™

Van1lla ™ Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+59
    Empire. It’s if you look under 25 they ask for ID. I still get asked for ID on the odd occasion even though I’m 28 haha.

13. Empire

+2,216
    I may be 25 and many said that I look 17 or 18, You an I are lucky lol