• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

New landing page and dashboard

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
I've made a new landing page for guests and a new dashboard for my members. Please let me know what you think about it and what could be improved and so on. Thanks!

You can see the new landing page here https://redly.social

And here is a screenshot of the new dashboard page which will work as an index page for members:

new redly social dashboard for members.png

Elli

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
This is really nice! I'm in love with the UI. :hearteyes: Font choice + color system + grid system are perfect, and the drop shadows on cards are on point! Not too heavy (common mistake). I found everything easy to navigate from my desktop.

A couple of thoughts on accessibility:
  1. The blue-gray font color (#8d99ae) over white does not have a high enough contrast ratio, 2.88:1, which fails WCAG levels AA and AAA guidelines. This is very hard for visually-impaired users to read; even as a sighted user, I found it too light. Always meet AA, at the very least! This will accommodate the majority of your users, and improve user experience overall.

2. I personally found most of the font sizes on this landing page a little too large, and would recommend scaling them down. I also found that you are using px in your CSS. Consider rem! rem scales with browser zoom and font size scaling.

3. The submit button on your search bar does not have discernible text. To a screen reader user, this button will have no context. Consider:
    HTML:
    <button class="cSearchSubmit" type="submit">
      <i class="fa fa-search" aria-hidden="true"></i>
      <span class="visually-hidden">Submit search</span>
    </button>
    How to use the visually-hidden class

4. Your search field is also missing a label. Screen readers do not pick up on placeholder text, which means they rely on labels to create context for form fields. Consider:
    HTML:
    <label for="elSearchField">Search</label>
    <input type="search" id="elSearchField" placeholder="Search..." name="q">
  5. Your "Redly" heading (H5 in the footer) is out of order in the document outline. It looks like it should be an H3 instead.

6. Consider replacing some of your <div class="landing_content" /> with the <section> element instead, which will make a more descriptive document outline for screen reader users.

7. This page does not have a level-one heading, which is not only necessary to make the page semantically correct, but also for SEO. I would recommend making the text "Redly is a community for people who want to change the world." as your H1.

Some thoughts on optimization:
  1. It looks like you aren't using gzip or an equivalent compression utility. Definitely recommend, it would reduce file sizes across the site.

2. I don't see concatenated CSS or JS files, and you aren't using HTTP/2. This is creating extra network requests, which is delaying the load time of your page. Consider concatenating your asset files.

3. Some of your large background images can be optimized. I like TinyPNG!

4. Your asset files are also not being cached. Caching would allow your users to load the site more quickly!

5. One of your images is not being loaded over https, which is creating an SSL error. It looks like it's the image in your intro section.

All in all, a very nice landing page, and I liked what I saw past this page, as well. Fantastic work!

Last edited:

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
change topics to current news or trending topics and add it before Your community
Yes I agree, it would probably be better to change the title to trending topics or recent topics or something like that. Thanks!
A couple of thoughts on accessibility: Some thoughts on optimization:
Several good points, I'll see if I can fix that this weekend. Thank you! :kissingheart:
I like how everything is on one page and I don't need to go hunting for it.
Thanks Jerlene, my goal was to make it easier for members to get a quick overview. I would also like to display some community stats on that page - such as total number of topics, posts, members etc - but I'm having difficulties finding the correct code for those data entries.