New Mac Pro 2019, thoughts?

apaynter

New Arrival
Jun 10, 2019
FP$
What are your thoughts on the new Mac Pro 2019 and Pro Monitor? I am interested in thoughts on the hardware specs and looks, NOT the price. The price is high but it's not aimed at the average user.

Personally, I like it, its a bit of a marmite machine, I think you either love it or hate it. With regards to the specs, I think the base models are pointless as the people that will buy this type of hardware will pay the extra and get them spec'd out.

Elli

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
That $999 stand is ridiculous. I have no idea how they can justify that price.

As far as the computer itself goes, the highest-tier specs are insane. 28 cores? 1.5TB of memory? That's a lot of power (albeit the 28-core CPU base clocks at only 2.5Ghz). Of course, that's what the market for this machine would be looking for. Still, I'd just as soon build my own for a lower price. Also, the case is dumb-looking, but it sounds like it's supposed to manage heat really well. It's cool how the outer case can be raised up to reveal the internals. The heat sink is an interesting design. Overall, I guess you trade appearance for performance.

I'm most interested in the GPU. The top spec has two Radeon Pro Vega II, but no fan. Their video shows air flow only. Am I misunderstanding how this is set up? That seems crazy to me to rely on air flow to cool two big-ass video cards.

Reactions: apaynter

apaynter

New Arrival
Jun 10, 2019
FP$
Since I work in the design field, I only buy macs, but I really can't justify spending that kind of money on a computer, especially since I would do the bulk of my work in a studio. I feel like they take the piss with their pricing and only because people will still buy them.
May I ask why you use Mac? Is it just that you always have? PC's do the same job as good or better in some cases. I use both but I seem to always go back to a PC when doing any heavy work. Maybe that's just because I started out with a PC.

That mac desktop looks so bad and basic design that I don't even like the look of it. no window to see the hardware and for the price no thankyou. Wasn't always an mac user anyway and I have used an older desktop and rather use that

K

kode_block

Sexy Cheese-Grater, Sexy Pro-Stand. An Apple-Fanboy/Girl's Dream.

Nah, I'm just joking. I doubt Fanboys/Girls will even pay for that piece of trash.

First of all, the Price. I know it's Apple and it's the Pro-Version of the iMac but does it really have to be about £5000/£6000? Nobody is going to pay for that. Not to mention the Design, which of course, looks like a Cheese-Grater. For the RAM and it's Storage, that's pretty powerful and really good for Specs. But yet again, it's the Pricing. There's even a special Monitor that you can get which from what I've found, costs another £5000. And don't get me started on the Stand. I just want a standard Stand that can hold my Monitor up while I do my work. But I would never pay £999 for a Monitor-Stand.

And this is why I've stopped using and buying Apple Products. Their Prices are too high, not to mention that you don't have much choice in terms of Devices with their Operating-Systems. It's why I use Windows and Android.