NGINX vs Apache: Which One Is More Suitable For You?

tk-hassan

New Arrival
Apr 15, 2015
USA
www.temok.com
FP$
NGINX-vs-Apache-Which-One-Is-More-Suitable-For-You.jpg

Both NGINX (pronounced as “Engine-X”) and Apache are popular open-source web servers used to deliver web pages to a user’s browser. However, which one is more suitable for you? In order to run your website more efficiently, it is very important to choose a web server according to your business needs. In this article, you will learn all about NGINX vs Apache most widely used open-source webservers.

Apache was initially released in 1995, whereas Nginx was in 2004 and both are most widely used by large fortune 500 companies all over the world. Around 50% of the traffic on the internet is served by both Apache and Nginx. In some special cases, the Nginx has a competitive edge over other web servers in terms of performance.

Apache has been the first choice of developers for 20 years because of the availability of different helpful resources. Nowadays, technology is changing day by day, so due to its certain design elements, it can’t fulfill the modern web demands. Whereas the market share of NGINX is rising and getting popularity as you can view the report by w3techs.

Read More: https://www.temok.com/blog/nginx-vs-apache/

TopSilver

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2019
www.mindpiff.com
FP$
I've heard that Nginx is faster. If I was using a dedicated server I would probably use that though I'm on a VPS and since I'm used to apache I've been using that for the longest time. Tends to server my site good and is just what I'm used to.

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
Anecdotally, nginx is quite a bit faster. It's not even close. I ran an entire chat room server with hundreds of chat rooms armed with nginx and php-fpm, on a dual core VPS with 512 MB of RAM. I honestly didn't believe it when it ran. Nginx handled it like a champ. (I recently brought it back for nostalgia's sake, but what you see now is merely a fresh-start reboot of it from years back) :p

This is because Apache spins up new processes for every single request, loading new data into memory and using additional CPU cycles every time this happens. Nginx is much more efficient about it handles these things, so it avoids needlessly reloading large amounts of data on each request. (Apache can be configured and optimized to improve upon this, but those improvements don't necessarily match nginx's inherent speed that's built-in).

The most prevalent downside to nginx is that htaccess is not supported, and the nginx .conf files that are used instead are not drop-in replacements. Rewrite rules are done differently on nginx, so they have to be translated manually each time. Luckily, almost every major, widely distrubuted application has pre-made nginx configurations available now, so it's generally been a non-issue in most cases.