Official "Mac vs. PC vs. [OS]" topic!

thedudeman

Seasoned Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
United States
FP$
This topic is meant to bring together all debates about Mac vs. PC, and any other OS you may use. Do not make separate OS vs. OS topics, and do not derail other threads into Mac vs. PC discussion. Also, keep it civil guys. No "Users of [OS] are idiots!" etc. Thanks!

Dasher

Paragon
Sep 23, 2009
C:\WINDOWS
FP$
Windows 7 PWNS Vista, XP Pwns alll. XS

Pixel Pirate

Seasoned Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
FP$
Designer wise I would go with OSX, because its pretty feature rich when it comes to designing..

If your going towards more gaming or like the functionality of a Windows OS then go for a PC.

There both pretty good, but one has more functionality then the other in certain parts.

el canadiano

Paragon
Mar 15, 2008
Redmond, WA
FP$
Mac with XP on dualboot is the best option. I'm actually an Ubuntu user myself, but even then, Windows is buggy, slow, and inefficient. My computers running vista run at least twice as fast as Windows for the basic stuff; such as boot, program loading (for fairness sakes, I'm only comparing programs that are all on Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu).

Ubuntu's good on a desktop, but I'd never recommend it on a laptop.

DarkKnight

Reputable
Jun 22, 2009
www.NintendoRealms.co.cc
FP$
I'm a Mac user with OSX 10.5 (Leopard), BootCamp dual-boot software and Windows Vista Ultimate.

MacBook Pro specs:
256 G4 Video Graphics
4GB RAM
530GB SATA2 Internal HDD.
90w/hr Li-Ion battery. (Keeps me good for about 9 to 12 hrs.)

Comment: XP is good. Vista is OK. I have tried 7's beta, but did not like it.

Uh, yeah...

Leo Ghost

Resident
Feb 6, 2010
VPN Tunnel(s)
FP$
UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Linux Air

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

Source - Any questions?

Watch Me Sink

Madly Diligent
Dec 31, 2007
East of Canada
FP$
Yes, I heard Windows NT's flights always left late and the pilot overshot the airport by a few hundred miles. Is this true?
Edit: Didnt see that the plane blew up. Disregard my comments.

Watch Me Sink

Madly Diligent
Dec 31, 2007
East of Canada
FP$
NoLineOnTheHorizon said:
NoLineOnTheHorizon said:
Keaton said:
Ha, good old Mac, no viruses :heart:.
Nothing else either.
Both of you are wrong. Macs have viruses, just like any other OS, see:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000737.htm
http://www.betanews.com/article/Macs-do ... 1251493625

Macs have many practical uses as well, many animated movies (Monsters Inc, I believe was one) are made on Macs. Musicians use Macs in the studio as well as live (August Burns Red used Macs to record and mix Messengers, and Korey Cooper from Skillet uses a Mac live in concert).