Parents Catfishing Their Kids

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
There is a show called I Catfished My Kid where parents purposely set up their kids to see if they'll take the bait and make a poor decision all in the name of education. What do you think of this tactic?

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I guess it's okay if it leads to a positive outcome. I wouldn't personally do it myself. I'd rather my kids learn the old fashioned way and do the best I can to give them the best childhood they can. But I also don't want them to grow up and make poor decisions that can be costly.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
I don’t like the idea of this. It sounds way to similar to grooming behavior and the likelihood of this being impactful without 1) trust being broken and 2) some form a trauma from the deception creating resentment.

Reactions: Terminated

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
I haven't seen this but I do watch the adult catfish programmes so know how this works. I suppose in theory if a parent is worried about their child's activities it could protect them but imagine how awful if would be for that child if they weren't doing anything wrong. They would never trust the parent again.

I once had access to my granddaughter's ipad and used to read it because she was being secretive and I was worried but she found out and made me feel like a naughty child. She still throws it in my face sometimes but it's my own fault, My intentions were good but I shouldn't have invaded her privacy.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I haven't seen this but I do watch the adult catfish programmes so know how this works

Yeah. I don't understand why people do it. I had an ex girlfriend try to catfish me. But I was always quick to catch her since during that relationship. I learned her texting habits. She made a lot of spelling mistakes and she worded things a certain way. So it was blatantly obvious. She couldn't fool me. Her reason when I asked her was that she missed me and wanted me back. I told her to move on and that I hadn't given her a second thought.

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
Yeah. I don't understand why people do it. I had an ex girlfriend try to catfish me. But I was always quick to catch her since during that relationship. I learned her texting habits. She made a lot of spelling mistakes and she worded things a certain way. So it was blatantly obvious. She couldn't fool me. Her reason when I asked her was that she missed me and wanted me back. I told her to move on and that I hadn't given her a second thought.
I have found on different sites that sometimes I can tell a person from their posting style even if they are using a different name. It's surprising how poor spelling and grammar can give you away!

HolisticStorm

Package Team Member
Package Team
May 2, 2021
FP$
I prefer to catfish people my own age, personally.

No. I can understand the motivation behind this action, but I feel like direct communication would be better.