Password Manager

meetdilip

Paragon
Does anyone know about any simple password manager that I can install on my server ? I tried Bitwarden, it is a bit too complex for my needs. Simple and safe is the motto here. Thanks.

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
I wish I could be more helpful however, I don't use a password manager even for my personal use. I literally have a notebook that I keep track of my passwords with. Not very secure I know but it's super convenient to just refer to it without fear of someone online tampering with it.

scooter

Reputable
You could try SSE File Encryptor for PC. It's cross-platform (Win/Linux/MacOS). I run the Android version and it's straightforward and secure.

scooter

Reputable
Thanks @Sharon @scooter

I am trying to do this as a service for multiple people. Something that (say) everyone at FP can make use of. So I need software that I can install on a server. Of course with a client for Windows.

I see. So this would be a document management system with a well-encrypted backend.

There are some services out there, like Sophos, but they are quite expensive, and not exactly what you are looking for.

I might think about implementing a SSO on a server encryption system...not sure off the top of my head how to do that. I think the way to start is find the DMS and work backward from there.

meetdilip

Paragon
Imagine running a WordPress website. I want to do the same for password storage. For a group of people. Bitwarden has a WP like install-yourselves software. But it didn't go well for me. So I am looking for alternatives so that I do not pay for any service, but run one myself. Thanks.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
I personally use 1Password, I use it for work. However it’s a bit of a learning curve, once you get the hang of things, it’s super easy to use and very safe.

scooter

Reputable
I personally use 1Password, I use it for work. However it’s a bit of a learning curve, once you get the hang of things, it’s super easy to use and very safe.
Does that operate on a client-server model?

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Does that operate on a client-server model?
The login information is stored on their secure servers but you can get apps on your phones, computers and it will bring those passwords directly to you. However, you have to enter your master password for each session. You can check out their website here: https://1password.com/

I was very pessimistic at first, but as I got to use it more, it really became a great tool for me.

scooter

Reputable

scooter

Reputable
Don't use, they can hack your account.
It appears that the key storage for 1Password is held locally by the user, so they would not have the means to do so.

As with any encryption system, however, the basis is trust.

Ash

Madly Diligent
I don't trust any programs, I keep a locked back up on my PC and a very secret place on a site I can access for my passwords.
They're fine if you use them for sites you don't really care about like forums. Having a unique password for each site is pretty good especially since with the manager, you don't have to remember them