PhpBB 3.3.2 is available

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
I have chosen to wait to update my software to the new version and that's because I thought I was going to be having surgery and didn't want to deal with anything, especially if issues were to arise.

Has anyone updated their software and did anything go awry?

scooter

Reputable
I got Atlantic up to 3.3.3, which was rather like nailing Jell-O to a tree; I have enough modifications that tracking them all down and installing them manually is a time-consuming and extremely unpleasant chore.

Not even a week after I did so, 3.3.4 dropped, and I threw my hands up and said no way am I going through that again that quickly. 3.3.3 is working fine.

PGen98

Package Team Member
Package Team
I got Atlantic up to 3.3.3, which was rather like nailing Jell-O to a tree; I have enough modifications that tracking them all down and installing them manually is a time-consuming and extremely unpleasant chore.

Not even a week after I did so, 3.3.4 dropped, and I threw my hands up and said no way am I going through that again that quickly. 3.3.3 is working fine.
They really do need to sort out a better upgrade path for add-ons, re-installing them every time you upgrade was fine 10 years ago, but now that just won't work. Hopefully whatever the next major version is (4, 3.4...) they create upgrade paths for the MODs database.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator

Oh my! I don't have too may add ons but I also don't like that end of running a forum so I'll stick with the version of PhpBB I have now and deal with the consequences later.

Smokey

Paragon
They really do need to sort out a better upgrade path for add-ons, re-installing them every time you upgrade was fine 10 years ago, but now that just won't work. Hopefully whatever the next major version is (4, 3.4...) they create upgrade paths for the MODs database.
Pretty much why I don't bother with free software anymore. There is an add-on for phpBB 3.0 i would love to have seen brought over to 3.3.x and beyond but the developer is no longer around and having someone else take it over or re-create it, just doesn't seem worth it, plus on top of that, the big thing on my site, the streams showcase, isn't available as a phpBB add-on, which is a HUGE deal breaker for me.

PGen98

Package Team Member
Package Team
Pretty much why I don't bother with free software anymore. There is an add-on for phpBB 3.0 i would love to have seen brought over to 3.3.x and beyond but the developer is no longer around and having someone else take it over or re-create it, just doesn't seem worth it, plus on top of that, the big thing on my site, the streams showcase, isn't available as a phpBB add-on, which is a HUGE deal breaker for me.
Totally understandable. That's one thing I love about the XenForo add-on developers, most are extremely active and support their products. Even the freely available ones AND most transfer from upgrade to upgrade without breaking. So much easier!

scooter

Reputable
Smokey has a point, and I've brought it up on my forum in the past...the developers' community for phpBB is rather user-hostile. Requests for support are most likely to be met with, "Why are you trying to do that?" That isn't the point, of course...the point is that we need to have something that does do that.