phpBB or MyBB?

Discussion in 'Software & Hosting Discussions' started by Gio, Feb 9, 2019 at 4:52 AM.

1. Gio

Gio FP's Greek Ambassador Community Team Retired Admin

+629
    Between these two, which would you pick and why?

2. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+212
    Hopefully neither. But, I think phpBB has a far stronger themes / mods community.
    MyBB is more secure though, phpBB is a joke when it comes to security, even though MyBB isn't that modern either.

3. Gio

+629
    Lol I said between those two. :p Yeah, phpBB seems to be hit a lot with spam.

4. Web2019

Web2019 Reputable

+33
    @Gio, you should add a poll - makes it easier to collect feedback.

5. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,125
    I had allot of people over my time that says phpBB is better then they say no phpBB is crap. I heard that phpBB has allot more updates and releases more then myBB. But I don't know myself.

6. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+13
    I go with MyBB as it is simple and easy for a noob like me. Don't require too much plugins, needed ones are available in it.

7. simonweb

simonweb Reputable

+46
    Honestly, I'd say you should look for another forum software. What about Vanilla forums? Their new 2.8 update looks good.

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  8. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+212
    It's only natural that some people will really support phpBB and others will only support MyBB.

I think the general idea, if you have to pick one of the two, is to make an informed decision by trialling them both out, seeing what themes there are in the ecosystem, whether there are any experienced developers / designers around (if you need that sort of custom work for your site), etc. and see what works for you.

9. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Administrator Administrator

+283
    I remember from a conversation about MyBB 1.6, it was said in this forum that phpBB was more secure as it had its code reviewed by professionals. Is MyBB more secure now?

10. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+212
    MyBB actually had a professional security audit done... Back in 2009, I guess they have no budget now o_O
    And it probably is more secure than phpBB, apparently they roll their own custom hash algorithm and you can sometimes catch them with contemptful attitudes for HTTPS and 2FA.

11. Rick Ace

+283
    That's interesting. There was a perception that MyBB had a tendency of being insecure as a result of high profile hacks and several security vulnerabilities that made some headlines in the forum community. This was during the switch from 1.6 to 1.8, if I remember correctly. Many users choose to remain on 1.6.

It's good to hear that MyBB has a better security reputation. I still don't see many new MyBB forums though.

12. LEADTECH

LEADTECH Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0
    I had some forums before and i always used MyBB software ..It is more easy and a friendly user software .. although PHPBB is great too ..but you gotta have some knowledge before putting up addons unlike mybb its more easy to add some addons ang plugins..

13. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+212
    I don't really see many new phpBB forums either, to be honest. Probably even less so than MyBB where I'm looking at-least. It's largely Discourse, bbPress and on occasion, XenForo.

14. Rick Ace

+283
    bbPress is supposedly the most popular forum software in terms of installations. Discourse is modern, but I haven't seen it as much as Xenforo. However, I think that's due to my personal tastes of forums. Discourse forums tend to be more Q&A type.

15. Maroon Caludin

Maroon Caludin Paragon

+28
    Well, as I use phpBB, I'd go with phpBB of course. First software I've really used and have never looked back since.

16. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+523
    I would choose MyBB. I love both and I started out on phpBB, but I love the simplicity and flexibility of MyBB. I also like that there are a ton of free resources available for MyBB.

17. Gio

+629
    Again as I mentioned, I'm not looking for any others lol. It's between MyBB and phpBB. I selected MyBB in the end.

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  18. overcast

overcast Familiar Face

+18
    For me it has to be MyBB. If given option, I can also try Fluxbb and if in paid category I'd choose IPB over Xenforo.