phpBB or MyBB?

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Hopefully neither. But, I think phpBB has a far stronger themes / mods community.
MyBB is more secure though, phpBB is a joke when it comes to security, even though MyBB isn't that modern either.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I had allot of people over my time that says phpBB is better then they say no phpBB is crap. I heard that phpBB has allot more updates and releases more then myBB. But I don't know myself.
It's only natural that some people will really support phpBB and others will only support MyBB.

I think the general idea, if you have to pick one of the two, is to make an informed decision by trialling them both out, seeing what themes there are in the ecosystem, whether there are any experienced developers / designers around (if you need that sort of custom work for your site), etc. and see what works for you.

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
New York City
FP$
Hopefully neither. But, I think phpBB has a far stronger themes / mods community.
MyBB is more secure though, phpBB is a joke when it comes to security, even though MyBB isn't that modern either.
I remember from a conversation about MyBB 1.6, it was said in this forum that phpBB was more secure as it had its code reviewed by professionals. Is MyBB more secure now?

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I remember from a conversation about MyBB 1.6, it was said in this forum that phpBB was more secure as it had its code reviewed by professionals. Is MyBB more secure now?
MyBB actually had a professional security audit done... Back in 2009, I guess they have no budget now o_O
And it probably is more secure than phpBB, apparently they roll their own custom hash algorithm and you can sometimes catch them with contemptful attitudes for HTTPS and 2FA.

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
New York City
FP$
MyBB actually had a professional security audit done... Back in 2009, I guess they have no budget now o_O
And it probably is more secure than phpBB, apparently they roll their own custom hash algorithm and you can sometimes catch them with contemptful attitudes for HTTPS and 2FA.
That's interesting. There was a perception that MyBB had a tendency of being insecure as a result of high profile hacks and several security vulnerabilities that made some headlines in the forum community. This was during the switch from 1.6 to 1.8, if I remember correctly. Many users choose to remain on 1.6.

It's good to hear that MyBB has a better security reputation. I still don't see many new MyBB forums though.

LEADTECH

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Oct 30, 2008
FP$
I had some forums before and i always used MyBB software ..It is more easy and a friendly user software .. although PHPBB is great too ..but you gotta have some knowledge before putting up addons unlike mybb its more easy to add some addons ang plugins..

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
New York City
FP$
I still don't see many new MyBB forums though.
I don't really see many new phpBB forums either, to be honest. Probably even less so than MyBB where I'm looking at-least. It's largely Discourse, bbPress and on occasion, XenForo.
bbPress is supposedly the most popular forum software in terms of installations. Discourse is modern, but I haven't seen it as much as Xenforo. However, I think that's due to my personal tastes of forums. Discourse forums tend to be more Q&A type.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Definitely MyBB.
I have never liked phpBB. It feels older, the admin options are confusing, and the template/customization options are honestly awful. MyBB is definitely more modern, secure, and it has more support/themes/mods. It's definitely the best free software out there.