Planning to switch to MyBB from Xenforo

Discussion in 'Forum & Website Management' started by jazz555, Jan 14, 2019.

1. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    My license ends on February and i am thinking of making the switch and closing my Xenforo account. How does it affect my site, and this is just a thought.

2. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,025
    Why do you won't to move? if you like what you are using and have very good amount of traffic and results then no need, unless you can't renew your licence.

3. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    My site is doing okay and not much traffic. And i can pay the renewal price, but i don't find the need as MyBB as most of the features Xenforo has. Little confused on this

4. Daniel

Daniel Package Team Leader Package Team

+122
    If you aren't seeing any benefit with Xenforo then you don't need to renew your license for updates etc. However, I'd be cautious about theme availability and any addon's that you are currently using. I'd maybe do a test install of MyBB and then see if you can get the plugins that you use and a theme that is close to what you want before you worry about migrating data.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    I don't make use of any addons in Xenforo. I see few benefits in Xenforo and i acknowledge it. But a sudden thought rose up that why shouldn't i switch to MyBB.

Anyway Xenforo will work even after my license expires. So let me do some research and spend more time on these two softwares and make a decision. You peoples input were very helpful :)

6. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+387
    It won't affect your site. MyBB has a converter for XF to MyBB so the switch should be smooth.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Daniel

Daniel Package Team Leader Package Team

+122
    All keeping the license "active" does is that it provides you with continuous updates and support.

8. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    Yes, i have previously done my transition from Xenforo to MyBB using the converter and i was able to restore the posts with no errors.

If i don't renew the license i won't get the updates and support, but still i will be able to use it I know this.

Let me think properly, i am a so confused guy who constantly get confusing thoughts :D

9. simonweb

simonweb Reputable

+28
    Let me offer a counter-proposal: convert your forum to IPB! :cool::D

No but seriously, why would you want to move from xenforo, a premium forum software, to mybb, which will surely degrade your user's experience on the site?

• Like Like x 2
  10. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    Yes, i know it will degrade but my forum has only 12 members. This is not the reason for change though.

11. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+387
    I wouldn't say it would degrade a user's experience. MyBB is a great forum software. I love forums that use it

12. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    The re-write rule, indexing of new links again will affect the SEO right?