Polish President, 95 others die in plane crash

Justin M

Paragon
FP$
full story

MOSCOW — Polish President Lech Kaczynski and some of the country's highest military and civilian leaders died when the presidential plane crashed as it came in for a landing in thick fog in western Russia on Saturday, killing 96, officials said.

Russian and Polish officials said there were no survivors on the Soviet-era Tupolev, which was taking the president, his wife and staff to events marking the 70th anniversary of the massacre of thousands of Polish officers by Soviet secret police.

A terrible loss.

David

Madly Diligent
FP$
Unfortunate, just unfortunate.

Tragedies like these could have been avoided if air traffic controllers warned the pilots that conditions were not in their favour for landing, let alone letting them take off.

Unfortunate.

Kino

Captain Awesome.
Coming from a Polish family this is really saddening news. It's quite depressing, yet controversial that he was flying with his wife and another officer of the government to Russia and the plane magically crashed. I smell conspiracy.

Justin M

Paragon
FP$
Kino said:
Coming from a Polish family this is really saddening news. It's quite depressing, yet controversial that he was flying with his wife and another officer of the government to Russia and the plane magically crashed. I smell conspiracy.

You're right. Being a military plane you would think that weather alone wouldn't be enough to bring it down.

Qbone

Familiar Face
FP$
This is horrible, luckily they aren't in disputes with other countries right now since they are really weak without any heads of gov.

Kino

Captain Awesome.
The whole hierarchy is gone. All the cabinet and the President are dead.

Kino

Captain Awesome.
Well yes, but the Prime Minister really has no say in much that goes on. Tusk is an arsehole anyway.

I just can't believe they were all on the same plane going to mourn a massacre from 1940. I mean 90 year old survivors of Katan were on the plane as well. All gone, obliterated.