• Hello Guest, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our email system. Please expect a delay in email delivery.

Posting in dead threads?

Ashley

Paragon
FP$
Are you okay with your members posting in old dead threads that are as old as 1 to 5 years?

With a couple of exceptions, not only do we allow it, but we actually encourage it as long as members stay on topic. In fact, I've had this rule all the way back to my first Chatting Time forum. Nothing aggravates me more than going on a forum of any niche and seeing 20 topics about the same thing. I sometimes find myself wishing I was at least a moderator on such forums, because then I can go through the site and merge posts together. In fact it's actually down in our rules not to make multiple posts

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
Absolutely! I don't mind either way, start a new thread or reply to old ones. I'm quite grateful for the quality activity in our forum. I understand that it's just easier for people to just start a new thread rather than dig for a related topic. On the flip side, I understand that not everyone likes the idea of starting a new thread and would rather post a reply to an existing one. ...to each their own.

PGen98

Package Team Member
Package Team
I grew up around forums that were ridiculously active, so it used to be taboo to respond to threads that were, say, 3 months old or more, so I kept that mentality with me for a long, long time. These days, though, it doesn't bother me so long as the reply is helpful, keeps the discussion going, or isn't just a spam post to inflate the count and move on.

scooter

Reputable
When I started Atlantic I was pretty aggressively pruning forums, but I've gotten a bit more relaxed about it as I've gone along. There might be some gentle teasing, but if it is there, then it is fair game.

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
I do remember years ago being given a warning for posting in an old thread. I'm pretty sure it resulted in me frequenting the forum less and eventually did not go back - I felt a bit salty after that!

PGen98

Package Team Member
Package Team
I do remember years ago being given a warning for posting in an old thread. I'm pretty sure it resulted in me frequenting the forum less and eventually did not go back - I felt a bit salty after that!
Yep, this was so common on forums in the past. It made no sense to me, but it was just the way things were, so you ran with it. I got warned a couple of times for it, myself. Now it's no big deal, fortunately, and nor should it be!

scooter

Reputable
See, that makes no sense. If you don't want anyone posting in the thread, then just delete the thread. I'm sure that every forum software out there has a pruning function; I use mine. Or if you want to keep it but don't want anyone posting to it, then lock it. It doesn't make any sense to allow a function, but then punish people for using it. :confused:

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
That's just one of the practices that I did not agree with but at the time forums were so popular and it was fairly common.

Ashley

Paragon
FP$
See, that makes no sense. If you don't want anyone posting in the thread, then just delete the thread. I'm sure that every forum software out there has a pruning function; I use mine. Or if you want to keep it but don't want anyone posting to it, then lock it. It doesn't make any sense to allow a function, but then punish people for using it. :confused:

This is why I prefer to lock topics and just let them expire.