Promoting a Forum = backlinks? And what are backlinks?

Ashley

Paragon
Jan 10, 2013
chattingtime.net
FP$
OK, I've had people tell me that promoting a forum is a good thing, because even if you don't get really active from people finding you on promotion forums/social media, they say it's supposed to be good for backlinks, which I'm assuming means that, say you're promoting your site here on FP (like I do) and your site doesn't get noticed much on the forum, but if you type the name of the forum on a search engine, all sorts of topics crop up with various places you've promoted. Would that be a definition of backlinks? Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm getting tired and this subject came on my mind at the last second.

Ashley

Paragon
Jan 10, 2013
chattingtime.net
FP$
AlyssaZara said:
An example of backlinks is when you post in forums like this one, you put a link of your website in the signature. Also, whenever you submit articles, press releases, put a link of your site.
OK cool. Thanks for the input.

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
Backlinks are a good thing. They're pretty easy to get. For example, if I wanted a backlink for this thread I would post viewtopic.php?f=26&t=128725 and I would gain one backlink.

InFiNiTy™

Paragon
Feb 13, 2011
FP$
Yes, backlinks are usually when you put your link on another website and that website links back to your website.

Ashley

Paragon
Jan 10, 2013
chattingtime.net
FP$
ClayXCol said:
Ashley said:
Alycium said:
Here you go Ashley, hope this helps clear things up.

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/b/f ... klinks.htm
Thanks. That did help somewhat. I'm no longer new to owning a forum, but I still find a lot of this confusing at times.
Thanks for this Alycium, and I think it's just a constant feeling Ashley. Owning any forum is confusing for the long haul imo.
I know what you mean. I've been doing this off and on since 2008 and there are still tons of things I don't understand, and probably will never fully understand it.

Ashish92

Paragon
Nov 6, 2009
India
FP$
Backlinks are good and bad at the same time, once you start looking at backlinks from the SEO point of view you have to be extremely shrewd at where the backlinks are coming from otherwise it doesn't take much for google to sandbox you.

My suggestion - first give 2-3 days to a deep study of backlinks and then commit yourself to promoting through backlinks.