Proposed Changes to Posts

Azareal

Paragon
It might be interesting, if users were able to contribute proposed changes to posts, for instance, they might help someone out by correcting spelling / grammatical mistakes in an article or to co-author a document.

You could probably even use it as a quasi-draft of sorts by submitting changes to your own post and then approving them. What do you all think of it?

Azareal

Paragon
Sure, maybe in a general CMS or in a articles/blog add-on. But I don't see how such a feature would be useful on a regular forum.
Change the styling and a forum becomes a blog, the two are simply different sides of the same coin. There was a plugin for MyBB which does that in a way, I believe it's called xThreads and lets you have per-forum templates, custom topic creation forms, etc.

People use it to build galleries, blogs, etc. in MyBB.

Anyway... I dunno, I kind of find the idea intriguing, it kind of reminds me of Google Docs in a lot of ways and these days, the lines between CMS, forums and chats seem to be blurrying a lot.

Take Discourse for instance. Discourse use it as a bug tracker, wiki of sorts, a chat and a forum. It's not quite suited for all of those tasks, I do admit, but it's interesting to see what someone can do with an off the shelf software without any modifications.

I sometimes find myself in situations where this sort of feature would be nice, although only on occasion. Maybe, a plugin would work just as-well.

simonweb

Reputable
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
Change the styling and a forum becomes a blog, the two are simply different sides of the same coin. There was a plugin for MyBB which does that in a way, I believe it's called xThreads and lets you have per-forum templates, custom topic creation forms, etc.
Sure, you can design a forum to look and behave more like a blog or some sort of article system, but then it's not a regular forum now is it. On a regular forum it would be annoying and straight up invasive TBH if other members could just edit my own posts to add new content or correct my spelling and grammatical mistakes.

I believe you can make something similar using IPB and their Pages addon, almost creating a wiki of some sort.

Reactions: jenna appleseed