Sending Emails To Inactive Members

Ozzy47

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Community Team
Gamma Premium
What do you all think about the practice of emailing inactive members and asking them to come back and post? Do you think it is a good idea? Bad idea? Why?

If you do email them, what do you include in your email? How often do you email them? What defines an inactive member to be emailed?

What do you all think about this as a forum member and a forum owner?

How many emails you have on file for the members come back as bad?

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
What do you all think about the practice of emailing inactive members and asking them to come back and post? Do you think it is a good idea? Bad idea? Why?
That's if the email/newsletter goes to them. Most emails that people join become closed after a while or they unsub to newsletters. I have done many in the past and the truth to be told is that they do not come back. It ends up deleted or spam folder. I See that emailing them can be like spamming. I just do not see wasting my time on doing that, might as well get new members joining that are willing to be active.

If you do email them, what do you include in your email? How often do you email them? What defines an inactive member to be emailed?

Can't even remember the last time I have sent an email out to all members LOL And it was not about inactive members. Just say $500 giveaway going and join back to win :p

Members own the site more than the owner and the owner gives what members want. Customise is always right.

Valentines Day Love GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
In my opinion, it doesn't hurt. However, I think most effort should be with interacting with your current members and attracting new members and hope that word of mouth/reputation is enough to attract even more members.

Usually something very personalized. Maybe a happy birthday if you happen to know this. Perhaps linking one of their former posts and talking about their thoughts about it.

If I were to witness the above I would be open to signing in again. I may not stick around though if the forum doesn't seem active or the topic/niche no longer interests me.

I have no idea.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Sometimes it helps and other times it has brought some drama that we didn't want so I'm not so sure it has helped Christianity Haven and we rarely send out emails any more. We used to send them out on our anniversary or for events I was running.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
I actually am planning to send out an email to my users this week - first one I've ever done. I should probably include that it will not be part of a regular ad campaign or anything...

I've just noticed that a lot of users have joined presumably looking for my opt-in boards, but don't actually ever opt into them. I've tried to streamline the process a bit by putting the User Control Panel right near the top of the page, and the email is meant to spell out the actual instructions on how to do it. I'd like to see if that makes a difference.

ZandraJoi

Package Team Leader Assistant
Package Team
I don’t email them to come back & post but I have at the beginning emailed those who haven’t logged on or had 0 posts, letting them know if they’d like me to delete their account. I don’t do that right now. There were a lot of pros & cons to deleting accounts. I never needed the high number yet some made a good debate about, who are we to delete their accounts. They will come on when they come on.
I think a gentle reminder, like I do for the Anniversary, is enough of a push. They don’t feel they are being called out yet are reminded they are a member.

I email them individually but also have it be generic. I used to send them 2 emails. Inactive is one who hasn’t been on in a year or has registered but never posted in, say, 3-6 months.

I’d take it as a nice reminder. We are on so many forums that honestly, it IS hard to keep track. Proboards has at least a Dashboard for all the Proboards forums we are on which make it easy. I’d give the forum another go if it has changed enough for me to come back as an active member.

I don’t keep track anymore.

I would love to send emails to those inactive members who forgot about my project because of a busy life. But sending one safely is not an option at the moment.

Most hosts get mad if we send mass emails. Also, genuine password reset emails will end up in spam folders if we do not do it correctly.

Carlos X

Addicted
I do this only sparingly. I rarely do it. I only do it when I have an announcement to make. Like a notice. I never ask them to come back. Its going to sound desperate if you DO ask them to come back.

Like I said: A notice or announcement.
I define ZERO posts as inactive.

Its fine. Problem is, people "don't like it."

At least 10. Out of thousands of members. Most of them are trolls, or GDPR trolls. Mostly troublemakers.

prophpbb

Acquaintance
FP$
Sending emails to inactive members can help the forum but it can also harm a website in many ways. It can harm the community if there are too many messages that bounce or get reported as spam/harassment. If you are on a vps or dedicated, having your ip blacklisted against a database is a headache to get rid of to say the least.