Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Several weeks ago, I asked our community about their thoughts on using multiple accounts to falsely boost activity in a new online community. Today, we’ll be looking over all of the responses to my questions and breaking down the pros and cons of using fake member accounts on an online forum to make a website appear more popular.

I have witnessed the practice of using multiple accounts to falsify forum popularity for years, but sometimes it can go undetected. Plenty of community owners are turning to this method because it can be extremely difficult to start a new forum, especially in 2019. It usually starts with an administrator creating one other account. It may be because they simply want to participate in their community without the stigma of being a staff member, or perhaps they are nefariously trying to trick newcomers into believing the site is much more active.

They begin by replying to threads that they have already replied to on their original, primary...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cammeh

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
This is an excellent article. I like that you quoted a number of members in the article. The discussions from that thread helped create it. That's a cool idea that I'd love to see continue.
Thanks, it's definitely something I want to continue. Any time I can quote members or mention their website (if established for a while) I think it's a good thing. It shows regular visitors that we are still a thriving community and helps current members relate. I definitely am glad I made that thread and am probably going to make a similar one today :) Glad you enjoyed the article!

dojo

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 10, 2012
New York City
marketing.themedically.com
FP$
There's no reason for a brand new member to just browse through the profiles and see timeframes, look for writing style etc. They join a forum to get an answer to their question, access resources or just have a laugh in the community. If any are so OCD stricken that they feel 'betrayed' by this, maybe they should join another forum. People who get offended so easily will make bad forum members and the sh.. will eventually hit the fan with them sooner than later.

Not to mention some admins can actually do this job so nicely that it's almost impossible for people to see. I had a forum years ago that I boosted like this and my best friend, who knows my 'voice' (we've been friends for almost 30 years, she does know me well), wasn't able to actually recognize my 'fake' accounts, even if she was a forum poster herself (an exceptional one I might add).

Isn't paying people to post a sneaky tactic? They wouldn't join otherwise anyway. Why entice them for their activity? Isn't asking friends to post wrong as well, provided they wouldn't have joined 'naturally'?

If I come and tell you: join my empty forums, will you? Even if I tell you that I'm an experienced webmaster, that I have almost 2 decades of experience, I'm good with most of the stuff I do, from logos to web design, wordpress work and forum management. SEO? I know that. Will you come and join a forum that's just been started just because I tell you there's a truckload of information there and you can ask me almost anything and I'll do my darn best to help you out? Most likely not, because an empty forum today has almost no appeal to anyone :)

Reactions: Ghost

Lämmchen

Addicted
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
I'm not giving up my fake bot who likes to make polls on Christianity Haven :p

My initial plan was to have an account that would post weekly polls and we had a guy working on making the modification but then he left our site so it never happened. So now we have to go into the account manually and post polls and we do that to increase activity and members aren't mad about it even though they suspect it's me doing it. Stop by and be greeted by iBot as we call him. He has a daily auto log in but I don't manually log in except for maybe once a month now since I'm really busy and the last poll didn't get many responses anyway.

Reactions: Ghost

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Isn't paying people to post a sneaky tactic? They wouldn't join otherwise anyway. Why entice them for their activity? Isn't asking friends to post wrong as well, provided they wouldn't have joined 'naturally'?
Paying people isn't the same as fake posters. Paying is simply the only way to grow certain forums - cause social media forums take all the real people!