Should I convert from MyBB to phpBB?

Discussion in 'Brainstorming' started by jdab, Sep 17, 2012.

1. jdab

jdab Madly Diligent

+1
    I am now working with [user]LiquidServe[/user], and we are going to turn Blog Promotion around. New theme, full team etc.

We are considering converting from MyBB to phpBB, do you think this would be a good move?

2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Reputable

+0
    I guess it depends if you know how to use phpbb, or mybb. I think they are both great frameworks and they are both free, so that's a good thing. :)
    Have you ran a phpbb forum before, why are you considering the move?

3. jdab

jdab Madly Diligent

+1
    I've only ever used MyBB. And I just think phpBB may be better for a promotion forum.

4. CyberFreak

CyberFreak Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+66
    What makes you say that phpBB is better for a promotion forum?

Personally I would say use a software you feel comfortable with. Running a forum is alot harder when you spend alot of time trying to learn your way around a software while trying to grow your forum at the same time.

5. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Seasoned Veteran Review Team

+60
    You're already on MyBB, stick with that. You won't gain that much, and a promotion is no easier on one software than another. I don't know why you think it's easier on phpBB (actually I have a pretty good idea but I'll keep that to myself).

6. LiquidServe

LiquidServe Paragon

+0
    Actually geoffrey I would love to listen to your idea!

and I am a lot comfortable with IPBoard forums, never used mybb in my life, just used phpbb for 1 month so I am pretty ohk with it too! MyBB seems to be tough when making themes! I was fixing some stuff for Flux and It seemed so tough to navigate through the template file! You just have 100's of them! gosh!!!

Still I seek your suggestions :D :D

7. Geoffrey

+60
    There are going to be lots of templates for any forum, some more than others of course, but you should get used to that. As for my idea, no thanks, but if you know me at all you can come up with it on your own. ;)

8. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+111
    I've used phpBB one time before and found that it was harder to mod than MyBB so, I wouldn't suggest doing so although, that may have changed by now.

That said, it probably would take some time to get used to a whole different interface than, the one you've been using up to now.

9. jdab

jdab Madly Diligent

+1
    Okay guys I'll stick with MyBB, just need a nice theme.

10. Geoffrey

+60
    Get a custom one.

11. jdab

jdab Madly Diligent

+1
    I'm going to either get a premium theme or a custom theme :)

12. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Resident

+0
    I find mybb easier to code around and change stuff, its has a great editor to work with and its not hard to figure out where stuff it at on the code.

13. LiquidServe

LiquidServe Paragon

+0
    Thanks all for great suggestions! :)

We could get tindris to do it for us for FP$! First off we need to plan our forums! rest on skype :p

14. pandaa

pandaa Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+1
    I have to say that a custom theme is necessary on both of these. I like the way Geoffrey phrased it, they're both "frameworks". I feel that if they're both used to their potential though, they're pretty equal.

15. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Reputable

+0
    Good to hear, it's really a matter of what you can do to make it as easy as possible for your members to post. :)
    Also people don't like change, so if you do plan to try something else, make sure it's really want you want to do.
    Setup a dev site if you just want to see what another script will do.

16. Faker

Faker Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0
    It all about knowing the software, do you feel more confident converting to phpbb? or did some one else who knows more about phpbb made you think otherwise?

Both great softwares but if you convert there might be a few headaches in the way, but as long at the end your happy with the results.

17. Tindris

Tindris Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+8
    Good Idea ;) I am looking for work right now...

Back on topic, Go with whatever you are comfortable with. At the end of the day a forum will only succeed if you can run it properly and to be able to do so you have to be comfortable with the software.

18. bauss

bauss Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0
    No. PHPBB is horrible, MYBB is awesome, and vbulletin and xenforo are superior. Stick with MYBB unless you want to upgrade to a paid forum software.