Should I Sell My Laptop To This Company

James Conway

The Helper
It's been a while since I was last here and every question I have had has been answered so thank you to everyone who has been involved.

I googled sell my computer and that company came up.

The issue I have is that when I go to clear my data I get a big fat error message.

I saw that they send a data cleaning certificate when you sell but my issue is there is personal banking info on said laptop.

Would you trust it?

James Conway

The Helper
No, I would not trust any company. My husband is IT and any computer we've gotten rid of (except to family), we have taken out the hard drive and smashed it.
I have just seen "Full device data destruction. All data on the gadget is permanently removed (overwritten) and a certificate provided for peace of mind." and the reviews look promising. Surely if I smashed the hard drive it wouldn't cost as much.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
I have just seen "Full device data destruction. All data on the gadget is permanently removed (overwritten) and a certificate provided for peace of mind." and the reviews look promising. Surely if I smashed the hard drive it wouldn't cost as much.

It takes one unscrupulous worker to destroy your life after obtaining personal information. Are you willing to risk it?

Cumulus

Paragon
Marketing Team
It's been a while since I was last here and every question I have had has been answered so thank you to everyone who has been involved.

I googled sell my computer and that company came up.

The issue I have is that when I go to clear my data I get a big fat error message.

I saw that they send a data cleaning certificate when you sell but my issue is there is personal banking info on said laptop.

Would you trust it?
Just clear your Program Files and %AppData% folders. That'll be most of your cached data gone. Or just encrypt the drive and let them wipe it.

Looks like a reputable company

ZandraJoi

Package Team Leader Assistant
Package Team
We've smashed our hard drive as well as take a magnet to it. May be overkill but I rather be safe than sorry.
We have a local place that takes electronics & refurbishes them as well as recycle. We don't get any money for it but it helps the business & helps to create jobs. That may be an option for you. But still need to destroy the hard drive yourself regardless.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
My company uses software tools to overwrite the drive. The algorithm used is an 11-pass method, specified for government and military use.

If physical drive recovery is not desired, the recommended practice would be to drill a hole through the drive, about 3 cm away from the spindle.