Should the TV License be abolished?

• Thread starter Deleted member 25872
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25872

Currently in the United Kingdom, we have a TV License and you have to pay it by law. If you don’t you can be fined or sent to prison for not paying the license. It’s about 200$ and this allows you to watch or use a Television.

What do you think? Should it remain a crime?

Ozzy47

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Community Team
Gamma Premium
Yeah, that sounds odd. 🤔

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
I haven't heard of this before..

Xyphien

Addicted
and I thought personal property tax was bad lol. That sounds awful, I don't even watch TV at all, cable is kind of a joke.

D

Deleted member 25872

Perhaps from the old days. No one bothered to fix it.
I haven't heard of this before..
Yeah, that sounds odd. 🤔
Wait. You have to pay to watch TV? Even news channels?

Yes. people are still getting fined for not having one in the UK.

The website quotes ‘ You could face a £1,000* fine if we find that you have been watching, recording or downloading programmes illegally.’

So, If you don’t pay your fine, you could be prosecuted but they will try everything to fine you first on top of the license and enforcement costs! Read more here - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ71

I think it should be scrapped. Nobody should be forced into paying a license for watching tv!

Last edited by a moderator:

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
The UK always has been paying for TV, since the very very start. Nothing new people. In fact, it's BBC for you. We pay-TV license to watch anything that runs by the BBC. That's why most channels have adverts and BBC channels do not. However, the shocking part that you have to have a license anyway to even have the TV to be on to watch :(

Also same with Online streaming networks, to watch Iplayer and whatnot you need a license. The cost and how it works will never stop. Unless the Government takes it on and says otherwise.

What I really dislike that pensioners has to pay also and those pensioners most do not have the money :(

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Currently in the United Kingdom, we have a TV License and you have to pay it by law. If you don’t you can be fined or sent to prison for not paying the license. It’s about 200$ and this allows you to watch or use a Television.

What do you think? Should it remain a crime?

What does the money actually pay for? Does it cover satellite costs or is there special equipment you have that you need in order to watch tv besides a television?

Fait

Seasoned Veteran
In my opinion it should be lifted here in Australia we don’t need a license to watch TV unless it’s something like foxtel but that’s a paid contract.

Ashley

Paragon
I've heard some stupid things in my life but this tops most of them. I mean, you're already paying for cable right? I'm not understanding this at all

Cumulus

Paragon
Marketing Team
It should definitely be scrapped.

For those in the US, we have to pay a set fee per year if we own a TV for watching live programs. It's used to fund our national media channel, the BBC, and the money doesn't go to any of the other channels.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
FP$

I think the detector vans are the wildest part of this whole thing lmao. Personally, I don't have the depth of knowledge needed to weigh in on whether it needs abolished or not. The US has broadcasting fees for everything tacked on whether you use it or not so I'm sure it balances out to what we pay here. At least this fee is transparent in how its used.