SMF 2.1 RC 4

Ashley

Paragon
Wow, I feel like it's been over a decade since SMF hit version 2.0, it only being 2.1 and in a RC, super super slow development.

It does seem like they are miles behind other software, don't it? I'm a believer of the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, but holy cow!

Smokey

Paragon
Thats the diff from free to paid...
That's no excuse to have literally no progress in nearly 10 years. phpBB went from 3.0 to 3.3 in that time. MyBB went from 1.4 to 1.8 in that time. Both are free. So that's a piss-poor excuse.

Its actually very secured probably more secured than XF.
LOL Best joke i've heard all day.

Puppuccino

Sponsored Content
FP$
They’ve raised the minimum php version to 5.6… 😂 in 2021 that should be 7.3 at the bare minimum. Plus some of the changes seem so trivial.

Does anyone still use this?

Dotgician

Up-and-Coming Sensation
XF is fat, bloated, slow, and would take 200 times the effort to do the reskin I've got planned as soon as I'm clear of my paying clients. As horrifyingly bad as SMF's default skin is, it's just old. Xenforo really doesn't have that excuse with such incompetent mental-huffing-midgetry as stuffing blockquote inside an article inside an aside inside a blockquote.

Or such mind-numbing derpitude as:

Code:
<ol class="nodeList">
<li class="node forum level_2  node_5">
<div class="nodeInfo forumNodeInfo primaryContent unread">
<span class="nodeIcon" title="Unread messages"></span>
<div class="nodeText">
<h3 class="nodeTitle"><a href="forums/google.5/" data-description="#nodeDescription-5">Google</a></h3>
<blockquote class="nodeDescription nodeDescriptionTooltip baseHtml" id="nodeDescription-5">THE search engine. This is for discussion about Google as a company, <strong>not</strong> for discussion of individual sites (SEO, PageRank for a site or "why a site ranks where it does" questions) or Google search results.</blockquote>
Code (markup):
How can you have a H3 when there's no H2? If you've got all those containers what do you need all the classes for? Just who the F*** is that even quoting?!? It' makes the outdated trash of SMF look good. Hence how the stock template will do things like vomit up 136k of HTML for 9.34k of plaintext and not even two dozen content images, not even 20k of code's job.

THEN people wonder why when using trash like XF they have to throw extra hardware and stupidity like Varnish at it.

Oh, but the database is the real bottleneck in a forms or CMS. OF course it is, that's why Laravel and Wordpress saw 40%+ speed boosts going from PHP 5 to 7.

... and if I'm going to rewrite from scratch the entire template -- which is on my rather lengthy to-do list -- I'd rather do it where I'm not stuck with some half-assed "template system" that sits atop a language that was basically created to BE a template system.

With SMF, even not fixing the twenty year out of date markup, I know from experience I can comfortably host said forums for probably a decade up to the scale of one like this on my current VPS. I can't say that about Xenforo, or vBull, or many of the other alternatives. Why do I know this?

Because back in '03 I took a forums with over a million posts on UbbThreads that was choking a dual Xeon with 4 gigs of RAM to death, and ported over to SMF (which was still in beta at the time) and was able to comfortably host it on a cheap shared single processor Pentium 3 rig with half the memory. (though integrating Sphinx helped too)

I trust SMF not to hog resources the way everyone else does, and I'm utterly unimpressed by anything Xenforo brings to the table.

(Just a thought from a programmer, not me.)

TCN Prime

New Arrival
FP$
SMF, that's a name I've not heard in some time. I wouldn't run this on any server knowing that security issues that'll pop up be handled in a quick manner. Be like running phpNuke for my site :D

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
SMF, that's a name I've not heard in some time. I wouldn't run this on any server knowing that security issues that'll pop up be handled in a quick manner. Be like running phpNuke for my site :D
They are just to old and also with updates, yet shocked to see them still running strong