SMF

apathy

Reputable
FP$
I don't see this talked about too much here, so I figured I'd go ahead and start a topic. :D

Who here has experience with SMF? Do you like it? How would you compare it to other forum software?

I'm a big fan of SMF and have been using it since I was 13. I find it's open-source nature makes it super easy to modify every last bit of it, so long as you know what you're doing. However, it feels a bit out-dated in some ways. Avatar uploads come to mind, things like Xenforo have very nice javascript uploaders that let you resize & crop the final upload, but SMF has nothing like this.

I've considered purchasing a Xenforo license to upgrade my forum to, however I'm unsure how much of my custom work there can easily be carried over.

Dotgician

Up-and-Coming Sensation
My favorite part about SMF is the security and open source nature! I honestly came back to SMF with one of my recent new forums(link in sig). I am using 2.1 RC3 and love it! its also responsive. Will probly upgrade to XF if I get a lot members and the community would like something more up to date and better features. For now I am loving how everything is flowing.

Allan

Paragon
SMF just released 2.1 RC3 so it's going slow but the software it self is great. I believe it has the easiest package manager out there free or paid, as well as upgrading the software. It has taken a long time to get to this point though.

2.1 is been in works from 2011. Half the code might be 5 years old, if not more. The first working version of 2.1 came out years ago. Whatever they are giving now is built on that, not a rewrite.

Joshua Farrell

Package Team Member
Package Team
Gamma Premium
If they released updates more frequently, I would probably use it over phpBB if I were going the free route of creating a forum. They would need to do a major overhaul and get everything current, if I were to ever run it for myself again.

Allan

Paragon
If they released updates more frequently, I would probably use it over phpBB if I were going the free route of creating a forum. They would need to do a major overhaul and get everything current, if I were to ever run it for myself again.
Oh I completely agree, it is good software but the lack of updates is what is killing it. As I mentioned above the sheer ease of installing packages, updates and themes is great.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
It feels like SMF is on their way out. You see less and less forums using the software, and it seems to look more and more outdated as time has gone. They’re definitely behind on the times, even in the spectrum of free forum software.

Still, I’ve seen some fantastic looking forums on SMF in the last couple of years. There’s potential to create something great, but it’s definitely difficult to see that when you’re setting up the default install. It’s not something that anyone would use right out of the box.

They have long stopped hearing anything from their users. The current alpha/beta/whatever they call it - version is being built on 2011-12 code. I don't know what to say to users who rely on such a code base. I really feel bad repeating this truth on multiple occasions. Because someone finally found a suitable free software.