So does the name/domain really matter?

Dotgician

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 9, 2020
FP$
So you look around and a lot of forums that are still active today, the name of the forum is random, acronyms, different domain extension besides .com being used, as well as Subdomains.

So does the name/domain really matter? What do you guys think?

Trying to come up with a forum. My options that i though i could bring good to a community.

Coffee Forum
Support for my game Forum
Trading Card Game Forum/love board games and TCG.
General Informational forum
Or anything just to use my XF license.

Should i worry about find the right .com domain?
Could I just use my name as the forum
Should I stay away from brandable domains?
From a domain investors eye, they think .com only, must fit the niche. but I want the few of communities eyes.

Last edited:
Talk Mental Health

Puppuccino

Caution: Hot
Aug 16, 2009
FP$
Don’t worry too much about getting the perfect dot com. Get a domain that makes sense and is memorable. Besides there’s tonnes of domain endings nowadays so you should have plenty choice.

Reactions: Dotgician

simonweb

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
Is the domain name really that important these days? There are hundreds of different TLDs, surely people don't care about .com domain names anymore? And most people just google stuff and websites, so I would say the content is much more important than any site name or domain. But I'm no SEO expert haha.

Reactions: Dotgician

sashab0

New Arrival
May 27, 2020
FP$
I think it would probably depend on the niche, where and how you’ll be finding most of your users (or rather how they’ll find you), and other factors. I suspect in some cases it may not be important, while in others, branding and how memorable a particular domain name is are going be very important.