• Hello Guest, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our email system. Please expect a delay in email delivery.

Suggestion Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
May I suggest someone in charge appoint someone the task of monitoring auctions? We have had our second auction end with no one declaring a winner after the deadline passed so people are continuing to submit bids because it wasn't ended officially as it seems to be a reoccurring problem.

Joshua Farrell

Package Team Member
Package Team
Gamma Premium
FP$
Cookie Badge
Bluezone, sometimes the person that started the auction forgets to check. And ofcourse, people not willing to do timezone calculations will post regardless of whether or not it actually ended.

I'll remind Cameron that he needs to check the thread.

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
@Joshua Farrell @Cameron Maybe an idea to add an option where you can set an time. Start and stop auction. By setup the time and date of when you want to start/end the auction and the topic automatic closes or says it has ended. so that way there is no need for the extra staff powers.

Joshua Farrell

Package Team Member
Package Team
Gamma Premium
FP$
Cookie Badge
It doesn't matter if a lock is setup to automatically occur, as generally speaking people still need to read the opening post to not be ignorant about it, and we will get people making threads about why the auction is closed. :p

As a tip, no one is always online to monitor stuff like this. THis is why there is an end date and time in the opening post. If the date and time has been reached, anything posted after that time is invalid anyways.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
Personally, when I'm setting an expiration date for an auction 10-11 days from when I started it, it's difficult for me to be able to say with 100% certainty that I will be online at the exact time of the auction ending. Typically, I am available on Friday afternoons because I get off work earlier on Friday, but different circumstances prevented me from being online for pretty much the entire day yesterday.

I also don't necessarily believe that an administrator has to be online to close these auction topics the second they expire. I don't think there's anything wrong with the topic being addressed whenever one of us happens to log on, within reason of course. Regardless, if this is something that our users believe to be important, then I will do better in terms of keeping tabs on these auction topics.

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
@Cameron Man that's why you have other staff members and mods! It's there job. Admins like yourself deal with back end of things and always in charge and over looking. The mods are front of house where they deal with little everyday things and dealing with good members and content and whatnot.

fantanoice

Madly Diligent
You could just reject any bids that came in after the end time, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

For what it's worth, it is very difficult to calculate American times into Australian. Could I suggest we get something in place to display the end time in the viewer's local timezone? SMF has a feature like that. Or could you do it in UTC time.

Saying all that, I think blind bids (ie: PMing the number we'd be willing to give up) would be a lot more fair than the system we have. It means people don't come in and snipe it just before the end time and people with more FP don't work to outbid people with less.

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
FP$
@Cameron Man that's why you have other staff members and mods! It's there job. Admins like yourself deal with back end of things and always in charge and over looking. The mods are front of house where they deal with little everyday things and dealing with good members and content and whatnot.

I've noticed this before with the auction, and even with site battles. However, like Cameron said we all tend to get busy throughout the work week, although I try to check in every now and then throughout the day.

I think UTC Time could work. In my opinion, auto locking could be useful, but there would also have to be a reminder sent. Sometimes locked threads tend to drop down so they become hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.