Swearing

Bizdustry.com

Madly Diligent
Nov 7, 2014
FP$
Cookie Badge
What are your views on Swearing? Do you mind users using this sort of language in posts? As long as it’s not directed towards another member? I do, but not excessive use and only to express how they feel in the post.

Talk Mental Health

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
What do you define as swearing? Can you link me to the universal swear list?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned not directing it towards anyone. Otherwise, I’d like to see how someone an define a “no swearing” policy that can be moderated appropriately. Most policies I’ve seen are closer related to anti-flaming/no disrespect clauses.

Reactions: Bizdustry.com

Bizdustry.com

Madly Diligent
Nov 7, 2014
FP$
Cookie Badge
What do you define as swearing? Can you link me to the universal swear list?

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned not directing it towards anyone. Otherwise, I’d like to see how someone an define a “no swearing” policy that can be moderated appropriately. Most policies I’ve seen are closer related to anti-flaming/no disrespect clauses.

On some forums, there has been a no swearing policy and for me, this makes no sense.
It is also hard to define swearing as a small percentage will classify ‘crap’ , or ‘bloody’ as swear words, when there hardly not.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
On some forums, there has been a no swearing policy and for me, this makes no sense.
It is also hard to define swearing as a small percentage will classify ‘crap’ , or ‘bloody’ as swear words, when there hardly not.
Exactly. Policies that list no swearing are to subjective unless you want to define every word not allowed under this policy. I am perfectly able to swear without ever once mentioning one of the go to swear words people think of. With such subjective policy, one opens themselves up to trial by fires from individuals who like pushing boundaries (like me.). In the long run, you either get a public perception of being to heavy handed as a staff or not involved enough. It’s better to define policy against directing remarks towards other members/orientations/groups/ethnicities/etc. This line of policy would allow someone to moderate without having to worry about subjectivity if the intention can be easily described.

Dotgician

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 9, 2020
FP$
I don’t mind as long as it’s not towards someone.

I have a big no politics rule on my bizdustry forum.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
On Christianity Haven profanity is not allowed. Our profanity list is comprised of words that are considered profane within the United States because that is where the site is based and the majority of our members reside here. We do not advertise our list but it was compiled from doing searches of what other sites had listed for theirs.

Reactions: Dotgician

Abizaga

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jul 10, 2020
geezezone.com
FP$
What are your views on Swearing? Do you mind users using this sort of language in posts? As long as it’s not directed towards another member? I do, but not excessive use and only to express how they feel in the post.
My view is that we aren't children anymore, so I see little problem with it as long as it doesn't become a problem.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I don't have a problem with swearing, within reason. As others have stated, you never want to allow personal attacks/bullying. Swearing in that manner should never be permitted. I'd also say that I wouldn't want to read seventeen different swear words in one individual post, even if it isn't a personal attack necessarily. I'd rather swearing not be excessive. That can be bad for SEO, Adsense, and more.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
I don't have a problem with swearing, within reason. As others have stated, you never want to allow personal attacks/bullying. Swearing in that manner should never be permitted. I'd also say that I wouldn't want to read seventeen different swear words in one individual post, even if it isn't a personal attack necessarily. I'd rather swearing not be excessive. That can be bad for SEO, Adsense, and more.

I guess we won't be having "Talk like a Sailor Day" ? LOL

Reactions: ZandraJoi

Shannon Apple

Resident
Jul 6, 2016
Ireland
www.sakugacity.com
FP$
I actually put in the rules something like "No excessive swearing. The odd f bomb is fine here and there. Use common sense." Or something to that effect. It's not a Disney forum, and the majority of the members are in their 30s and beyond. You do get the odd young one joining and swearing all over the place, then it's time for the "smitehammer" aka warning. LOL! I find that there's very little need to reprimand people normally though.

Reactions: ZandraJoi

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
What are your views on Swearing? Do you mind users using this sort of language in posts? As long as it’s not directed towards another member?
I think swearing or cursing should be used sparingly. Here's how I see it. I don't curse or use profanity around my mother or family. So why do it around other people who may feel the same way as my parents?

I don't think it should be directed at someone on a public board because that could deter new members. You have those that care and those that could care less. I don't think it makes me look "cool" when I curse on the forum board nor does it bring me new friends. It really doesn't benefit me at all.

Where I live, a lot of people don't like it when you use profanity in a public place. You'll get eyeballed by everyone and viewed like you have a mental illness. Some kids who come in using really bad language get kicked out or asked to leave. So, I just work on not saying those words.