Switch Anyone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment Discussions' started by Xyphien, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Xyphien

Xyphien Up-and-Coming Sensation

+13
    After finding out they have a new pokemon game out for the switch, that brings yellow version back to life, with pokemon stadium style fights I had to pick up the console. I was wondering if anyone else has the console? How do you like it, and what's some good games for it other than the basics?

2. Jordan

Jordan Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+535
    I have the switch console.

The best part of the console? No lie. Going from full HD on a big screen tv, to taking it with you to go have a shit.
    Didn't pick up the pokemon game. The no battles kills it for me.

3. santanoice

santanoice Madly Diligent

+52
    I have one. I've been streaming Pokémon Let's Go Eevee on my Twitch. I'm liking it more than I expected. Kicking back and throwing balls instead of fighting makes it a pretty chill experience. There's still plenty of trainer fights as well to keep the excitement there as well.

4. Xyphien

+13
    There's still battles, just not wild encounter battles. Instead you catch the wild pokemon much like pokemon go (without actually having to get up and move around) You still battle trainers, players, gyms, elite four, etc. and can even battle friends, etc. So it's amazing.

I actually agree. At first I was hesitant on not battling wild pokemon, as that's one of the core processes with pokemon games. However now that I'm playing it, it's actually a lot better. It takes 10 minutes to get through a cave battling trainers, versus 45 minutes battling zubat after zubat.... and THEN trainers.

5. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident

+27
    I've got a switch also. I pre-ordered the Smash Bros Ultimate version.

I, unfortunately, didn't realise that the Smash Bros release date wasn't until December 7th. I had set the game to download, went to work with the idea that when I got home I'd be able to play some Smash. (This was like November 7th...)

I ended up picking a couple other games to play in the meantime... Namely, Sonic Mania Plus and Azure Striker collection. I had played Azure Striker Gunvolt on Steam but they hadn't released Gunvolt 2 there yet so I was waiting for that. But when I was in Gamestop and saw, by chance, a copy of the collection that was marked down I couldn't pass it up. And Sonic Mania Plus was one I'd been following for a while anyway.

The option to instantly go mobile is nice. Battery life is pretty good too given what it's capable of rendering. I've also found that the joy-cons being able to effectively split into separate controllers to get another player in is also kinda nice. Even if they are kinda small and some buttons are harder to hit than others (L1/R1 for example).
    I like the fact that the miis are not required now. I disliked them in the U. I purposefully have not imported from my U or created any new ones. Though for those that did like them, there is still an option to create/import them. Which is nice, options for everyone.

I'm not overly fond of some decisions they made though. For example data handling is kinda limited. You can transfer screen snapshots and video to a microsd card but any downloaded games can't be. (You have to delete them from the console and re-download them with a microsd card inserted.) Similarly save data is locked to the console which I'm not thrilled about. Sure if you have their online service (more on that in a bit) you can upload saves there, but it's no replacement for being able to move them to your microsd and back them up on your computer.

I also dislike the fact they have paid online now. Nintendo's online play experience has been pretty crap and going paid will not likely change that. It feels like a cash grab to me. Even if the yearly cost is fairly low it's still yet another cost to contend with. One that will inevitably go up.

I also don't overly like the need for a mobile phone to be used to handle the voice chat stuff. If I'm going to do that I'd just rather use Discord.

6. Xyphien

+13
    I was completely shocked when I found out there isn't an ingame chatting service on the system. You'd think, especially with them making the paid online you stated, they'd have something, even if it is discord to be able to chat too for those of us who wish to talk online. I've always looked at nintendo as a more co-op friendly console. Games like Xbox and PS4 are going away from at least local co-op you'd think that nintendo taking their local co-op and making it online co-op (like pokemon, screen cheat, smash, etc.) they'd have some sort of online chat system for your friendslist at least. I'd say I hope it comes out soon, but with the console already being out for a little bit now, I sadly doubt they'd add it in.

7. MrHorror

MrHorror Reputable

+40
    Never been a fan of Nintendo Switch. I prefer gaming on the Wii U which I can switch over to play on my HD flat screen. I will wait until the new Super Smash Bros. comes to Wii U. I used to love handheld games like the old game boy, PSP and sega game gear. But why play on a small screen when you can game on a much larger one?

8. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident

+27
    You're going to be waiting a very, very long time for that. By that I mean Smash Bros Ultimate isn't likely to ever come to the U. Nor is any more games really because they stopped making games for that console in early 2017. (Offhand Breath of the Wild was the last U game produced by Nintendo before they moved over completely to the Switch.)

9. Carlos X

Carlos X Up-and-Coming Sensation

+90
    Wii U didn't sell too well. You aren't going to get a Wii U version of Smash Ultimate. It's time to buy Nintendo Switch if you want Smash Ultimate.

I have a switch, but I don't use it much. I got it for free in a contest. :D I got Zelda, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I intend to get Metroid Switch whatever it'll be called. And smash. Yes, smash. :D And maybe some eShop games like Dead Cells or something. From the eshop, I got Shovel Knight, some SNK games.

Shameless plug: @VirusZero @Xyphien @Jordan @fantanoice and/or anyone else: I own a Nintendo Switch Forum - SwitchForum.com

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maroon Caludin

Maroon Caludin Paragon

+23
    Have one but haven't touched it since that one Sonic game came out. Really should use it more.

11. Soopairik

Soopairik Reputable

+26
    I want a Switch.

12. Gingernuts Fairypie

Gingernuts Fairypie Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+1,906
    Anyone has an switch to give away :p

13. santanoice

santanoice Madly Diligent

+52
    @MrHorror You can plug Switch into the TV and play it on that. And the new Smash won't be coming to Wii U ever.