The Biggest Problem with MyBB

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
It seems to be the authorization code mismatch error. In other words, a person can login and do some stuff. However, when he/she tries to login at some other time - this problem comes up. Anyway, what is the source of it? Why does it seem to be unique to MyBB?

Talk Mental Health

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
Well... that happened because MyBB added the post code requirement to more places a few versions back, but the themes that were made for MyBB didn't exactly update to reflect the changes.

The authorization code is a special code that is unique to a specific visitor. Without it, it would theoretically be possible for someone to manipulate the URL and make it seem as though you were performing a specific action that wasn't being performed by you.

Anyway, they added this post code directly within the templates. Themes that were heavily modified would have needed to have been updated for their templates to match up. So for better or for worse, these themes end up needing to be updated manually. It's been a common problem for a lot of forums.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Bad interface. Lacks a lot of features compared to premiums. Also making themes and extension doesn't have proper documentation. And list goes on.

Well, it's for DIY (do-it-yourself) people, anyway. If you're good at that - then you'd do well - or if you can hire a good developer. The developer cost should be far less than paying for premium software fees and upgrades. That's an upside.

Reactions: tdbnz and Jason5

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
I'm bumping an old post, but Google brings people here, so I figured I'd post!

I finally wrote a plugin to fix this with a single-click activation. This performs the exact same modifications that are described by the official MyBB guide, but it does so automatically without any manual template edits whatsoever.

I hope this will be of help to anyone who encounters this issue in the future! :)

Joshua Farrell

Papa Smurf
Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond

I finally wrote a plugin to fix this with a single-click activation. This performs the exact same modifications that are described by the official MyBB guide, but it does so automatically without any manual template edits whatsoever.

I hope this will be of help to anyone who encounters this issue in the future! :)

I hope it goes well for your listing! :)

Reactions: Darth-Apple

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$

That's awesome!

Reactions: Darth-Apple

johnthan

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
Jamshedpur
www.gpway.net
FP$
I am facing the same and I have even changed the password by going to the database. Still, the problem stays so the error is a different one.

Even I created a thread on the MyBB community but the replies were not so satisfying.

So my final step is only to reinstall/change the entire theme.

Now I will go and set the default template and manually change/update the template I am using.

Cumulus

Marketing Team Leader 📊
Marketing Team
Oct 8, 2020
UK
FP$
Thank You Badge
I say the worst thing is lack of responsive designs from the get go. I mean even SMF, phpBB, and others are all responsive but MyBB lacks it for whatever reason.
I'd agree, the lack of default mobile-friendly themes is off-putting

Allan

Paragon
Community Team
Feb 21, 2011
Central Florida
kndhosting.com
FP$
I say the worst thing is lack of responsive designs from the get go. I mean even SMF, phpBB, and others are all responsive but MyBB lacks it for whatever reason.
I don't believe SMF 2.0 is responsive, 2.1 is responsive on the default theme.

Abizaga

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jul 10, 2020
geezezone.com
FP$
I don't believe SMF 2.0 is responsive, 2.1 is responsive on the default theme.
I didn't even know that! I looked at a couple 2.1 RC tests sites and the responsive design looks great! Can't believe it took them so long though...

TopSilver

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2019
www.mindpiff.com
FP$
myBB isn't terrible however I still prefer Xenforo 2. It's more robust and there are more features that make it really the best user experience to date. I don't have a problem with it though because it is actually free and considering it's free, it's indeed worth it in my opinion.

Darth-Apple

Familiar Face
Jul 27, 2013
FP$
I've long been trying to discuss this possibily/idea with some folks from around the MyBB community to help solve the responsiveness nightmare. Unfortunately, the work involved in making a responsive theme is quite immense. It's a table-based design, so a lot of code needs to be ripped out and totally replaced, and even then, it's very easy to miss details because of the sheer scale of MyBB's many hundreds of templates.

One solution would be to make a base theme that is responsive, that all developers can base further designs off of. It would not have to be the MyBB default, nor would it need to be shipped with. It would only need to be open source and free-to-fork, and would increase the number of responsive designs significantly.

I had thought about pushing some development towards this effort myself based on my current site's theme (with a lot of adjustments to make it more skeleton-ready), but unfortunately, my design is a table-based responsive design. It's mostly responsive (and still more mobile-friendly than some of the other "responsive designs" that are available), but it's definitely not totally bug-free on every single page. And unfortunately, it is very difficult to make a properly, truly responsive design based on tables.

I've mentioned the idea in the past, perhaps some people more experienced than I could give some input on this. I'm not a professional designer, but a team of people could probably make this sort of thing fairly do-able in a short period of time, for which I'd lend time as well. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else has thoughts on this idea.