The Community Project

Blackout

Addicted
FP$
THE COMMUNITY PROJECT
Where communities thrive

WHAT ARE WE?
The Community Project came about as an idea when I noticed that people would express interest in wanting to participate in a group watch or read event and want to discuss as they go. I took that concept and decided to expand on it to make it into something where you could watch, read or listen to anything. You get a few people together who express interest in participating in the event, you request a section and off you go!

WHY?
Because I realized that trying to stay on top of and manage several of these group events would become too much of a hassle when spread out over several communities so I hoped that by combining them into one that it could benefit not only me but those participating.

Officially rebooted! Come enjoy with us @ https://communityproject.online/

scooter

Reputable
I'm a little bit confused as to the purpose of the site. Would you use it to plan online events, or in-person events? If someone has an already occurring online event, such as a Zoom call, would this be the place to promote it?

PGen98

Package Team Member
Package Team
That's quite an admirable undertaking, as it is quite difficult to get people together for events like these, so all the best with it!

I'm a little bit confused as to the purpose of the site. Would you use it to plan online events, or in-person events? If someone has an already occurring online event, such as a Zoom call, would this be the place to promote it?
I believe it is predominantly online events, so it does seem like a zoom call would be a perfect thing to promote on a community such as this.

Blackout

Addicted
FP$
Actually, you're misinterpreting the purpose of the community. Think book club. You pick a show, watch it together and discuss. It's a good way to expand your horizons, introduce you to something you might have otherwise ignore and help you bond with fellow members of the community. Someone mentioned expanding the 'scope' to include other avenues such as partnering up to play video games, etc.

The extent is potentially limitless. I'm aiming more for finding people to watch shows and movies, listen to podcasts and read books with.

scooter

Reputable
Actually, you're misinterpreting the purpose of the community. Think book club. You pick a show, watch it together and discuss. It's a good way to expand your horizons, introduce you to something you might have otherwise ignore and help you bond with fellow members of the community. Someone mentioned expanding the 'scope' to include other avenues such as partnering up to play video games, etc.

The extent is potentially limitless. I'm aiming more for finding people to watch shows and movies, listen to podcasts and read books with.
Ahhh, okay, I get you now. And yes, that makes sense - one of the things I missed when watching movies with folks online during the pandemic was the social interaction afterwards (and sometimes during, depending on the movie).

I was also seeing whether this would be a good place to talk about my trivia contests. I run pub trivia every week on Wednesday and then re-run it for an online audience on Monday, and it would be great having more teams to play the online version.

Blackout

Addicted
FP$
I think there's quite a few people that watch films and tv shows together over Discord.. it'll be interesting to see how well the concept works on a forum.

Best of luck.
We have a Discord as well, working on how to fuse the two together.

Ahhh, okay, I get you now. And yes, that makes sense - one of the things I missed when watching movies with folks online during the pandemic was the social interaction afterwards (and sometimes during, depending on the movie).

I was also seeing whether this would be a good place to talk about my trivia contests. I run pub trivia every week on Wednesday and then re-run it for an online audience on Monday, and it would be great having more teams to play the online version.
Sure, you're more than welcome to give it a go. I'm always down for playing trivia.

Blackout

Addicted
FP$
We're about to start our first 'project' this upcoming Sunday! We'll be reading The King's Ranger by A. C. Cobble We'll be having weekly chapter reading with accompanying discussions, a read along on the Friday of next week for those who want to listen along and more! Feel free to check it out and possible contribute.

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
Great concept! I've tried using discord in the past but found that the conversations were a bit too fast paced for me to keep up. I think it's because I have such limited free time and can't spend more than 20-30 minutes per session. Having this in a forum setting might be a bit more inviting to hold lengthier discussions. Wishing you all the best!

Blackout

Addicted
FP$
Great concept! I've tried using discord in the past but found that the conversations were a bit too fast paced for me to keep up. I think it's because I have such limited free time and can't spend more than 20-30 minutes per session. Having this in a forum setting might be a bit more inviting to hold lengthier discussions. Wishing you all the best!
That's the hope. We aim to use Discord for a read-along type of event where each week the chapters being discussed will be read aloud over voice chat by one or more (depending on volunteers) to all participating or those who want to listen